If I fail......

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something you all should know is none of you are reflecting postively on the profession of engineers.
Some of us here were defending you. To slap us in the face with this comment doesn't help your position at all since you're now losing all of our support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey dannyypk, I took PE exam 4 times in NC. I am reasonably sure that you will know your results by the end of December. I didn't see if you took EIT or PE. If you took PE, you will be able to see that you passed on-line because you will be listed in the directory for PE's. I was always allowed to get seated for next exam when I failed. It shouldn't be a problem, but DO listen to the Board. They have the power. Good luck.
Mary, did you get to take the PE 4 times in a row in NC because from what I understand you have to wait a year before you can take it after you fail three times? I have failed twice and am waiting to see if I passed in October. What did you have to go through in NC to be able to sit for the 4th time? Also, to answer the previous question, in NC, they push the reapplication date if you fail based on when they send out the results.

Something you all should know is none of you are reflecting postively on the profession of engineers.
Who said we were trying to reflect positively on the profession? Funny pic thread is a great case in point, or what's that one where we waste all the time at work trying to post thousands of messages on a single thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary, did you get to take the PE 4 times in a row in NC because from what I understand you have to wait a year before you can take it after you fail three times?
I failed 3 times in mech, then waited about 10 years, changed from mech to civil, took the ITRE PE review class offered at NCSU, took it my 4th time in civil and passed. I have a weird story. I was in Civil Engr at NCSU for 3 years, but didn't finish my degree. (I planned to go back, but never did.) Most of my experience was in mechanical, so when I had the required 20 years of experience to qualify, I decided on mech. I never passed it and wanted to go back into civil, so I wrote a letter to the board explaining that my education was in civil and I wanted to return to civil and I was enrolled in the review class. They seated me.

Good luck. And NEVER give up!!!!

Just want to see if someone can tell me something about the reexamination,
I under the result will not be posted until around new year time.

If I fail, and I would like to take the exam in coming April exam, Will the board allow you to submit a later application??

I am in NC , the deadline for April Exam is Jan 2nd.
That is probably just for first time test takers who have to submit their work experience and all the rest of the mumbo jumbo. If you are a repeat taker you have submitted that stuff and are probably okay. That's the way it is in TN.

In KY you are allowed to take the test 3 times before having to resubmit an application. I'd check your board's website.

In California it's posted on the state engineering web site that the deadline is ONLY for first time test takers and NOT for re-testers. I'm sure there will be a form included with your "We regret to inform you" letter to allow you submit another $275 for the honor of taking the test.

In California it's posted on the state engineering web site that the deadline is ONLY for first time test takers and NOT for re-testers. I'm sure there will be a form included with your "We regret to inform you" letter to allow you submit another $275 for the honor of taking the test.

yeah, and you can register for the exam even without the board approval. when you go on ELSES it even says that...they just take the money and proctor the exam, which is different than qualifying people for the exam...which is the deadline referenced above.

the deadline to register for the exam is well after the application deadline. if you have already qualified for the PE, you dont have to re-qualify

Just want to see if someone can tell me something about the reexamination,
I under the result will not be posted until around new year time.

If I fail, and I would like to take the exam in coming April exam, Will the board allow you to submit a later application??

I am in NC , the deadline for April Exam is Jan 2nd.
Is that the re-exam deadline, or the first time applicant? Because in PA the re-exam deadline is about 1 month after the first timers. Basically its because they have to review the first time applicants, but the re-examers don't have to submit anything but their money. And actually, my first application I got my approval (and request for more money) 2 weeks late but they still accepted my money to allow me to take the exam despite the lateness.

Is that the re-exam deadline, or the first time applicant? Because in PA the re-exam deadline is about 1 month after the first timers. Basically its because they have to review the first time applicants, but the re-examers don't have to submit anything but their money. And actually, my first application I got my approval (and request for more money) 2 weeks late but they still accepted my money to allow me to take the exam despite the lateness.
Never mind....should have read all of the responses....apparently many of you guys already said basically the same thing for your states.

Back