If I fail......

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyypk

Reaction score
Just want to see if someone can tell me something about the reexamination,

I under the result will not be posted until around new year time.

If I fail, and I would like to take the exam in coming April exam, Will the board allow you to submit a later application??

I am in NC , the deadline for April Exam is Jan 2nd.

If I fail, and I would like to take the exam in coming April exam, Will the board allow you to submit a later application??

from what ive heard from others is that we will get results around Christmas so you should have about a week to resubmit. I would call the board, because they actually dont decide who will take it until the feb. meeting.

I think most states have a later deadline for a repeat taker to allow for this circumstance.

I've never heard of a state Board that does *NOT* allow late application due to arrival of results. Why not just ask the North Carolina Board of Engineers and Surveyors - they've got all kinds of contacts on their webpage.

I don't think you have to apply again if this is your first time to fail. Our application deadline and registration deadline are two different dates.

It is my understanding that all states permit re-examination at the next test session unless the particular state limits the number of times the test can be taken without reapplying. I believe all states allow re-examination if it's the first time failing. More states seem to be adopting a 3 times philosophy, where after 3 fauilres the applicant must submit a completely new application and possibly needs to demonstrate to the board on the new application that they have had additional applicable experience/credited courses since thier previous application.

Hope this helps.

Oh....seems the failed candidate will automatically re-applying ?

I already sent a email to the board. and I will post the answer here!

Thank you everyone!

Look CLOSE at what the state site is telling you. I can ONLY speak for KANSAS (which is a shame because I am so darned OLD and have been ROOTED here for the past 25 years).....

In KS we do have an early APPLICATION deadline (It was a quick turnaround for me after I received FE passing results to "sit" for the PE). BUT, once I was "approved" to "sit" for the PE, I was sent a letter that basically assigned me a number and told me that I could "take" the PE exam until I "passed" (Hopefully THIS was the LAST TIME)!!

Once I had the KS approval letter the registration for the "second" try at the PE was directly with the NCEES and there was NO involvement with the state of Kansas. I HOPE that I never have to get "used" to this, but the REGISTRATION deadline is around two months before the test.

In retrospect, the APPLICATION approval is significant. In my 30 plus years of employment I have not always been "graced" by an organization of professionals. I am so darned OLD that I just "tossed" 20 years of "field, construction, and maintenance" experience and ONLY "counted" my last 10 or so years as "qualifying." It worked, and I felt just as appreciative that I was "approved" to TAKE the test as I did "passing" the FE.

Not sure why you guys are worried about failing?

The rumor I heard is that engineerboards.com has an agreement with NCEES and people who have accounts on here have a guarantee pass because of that joint agreement. So no need to worry - thanks to our friends at engineerboards.com and NCEES.

Not sure why you guys are worried about failing?
The rumor I heard is that engineerboards.com has an agreement with NCEES and people who have accounts on here have a guarantee pass because of that joint agreement. So no need to worry - thanks to our friends at engineerboards.com and NCEES.
Wow. Just shows how stupid you are to believe a rumor like that. But wait, aren't you the same goofball who claimed he saw the raw cut score on the Montana board website? I'm surprised you could even find the exam site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey dannyypk, I took PE exam 4 times in NC. I am reasonably sure that you will know your results by the end of December. I didn't see if you took EIT or PE. If you took PE, you will be able to see that you passed on-line because you will be listed in the directory for PE's. I was always allowed to get seated for next exam when I failed. It shouldn't be a problem, but DO listen to the Board. They have the power. Good luck.

Wow. Just shows how stupid you are to believe a rumor like that. But wait, aren't you the same goofball who claimed he saw the raw cut score on the Montana board website? I'm surprised you could even find the exam site.
I am making a joke. And yes, I did see the cut score for the exam in the meeting minutes for the Montana Board of Engineers. But it turned out that it was for a different exam (the Montana MTL for land surveyors), so it wasn't helpful for the PE exam.

Jesus, Benbo. Our shenanigans are cheeky and fun...your shenanigans are sad and tragic.

Jesus, Benbo. Our shenanigans are cheeky and fun...your shenanigans are sad and tragic.
Thanks for your judgement on me Mr. non-Judgemental. Validates my position and ensures I'm on the right track.

Thanks for your judgement on me Mr. non-Judgemental. Validates my position and ensures I'm on the right track.
Alllllrighty.

I don't know if your first post was serious, or if your brand of humor/sarcasm doesn't come across in your posts, but you come off as really crass in a lot of your posts. If you weren't calling the original poster "stupid" for real, then I apologize, but it appears that mudpuppy got the same impression from your post that I did. Your posts in the "controversial" threads read like direct attacks on me personally, which I explained in each of them and apologized if I took them wrong as well. However, it seems to be a trend with your posts, so I don't think I'm going to bother apologizing to you any more.

lay off benbo, bigtrees has been a pain in the past. His comments in this thread weren't funny.

lay off benbo, bigtrees has been a pain in the past. His comments in this thread weren't funny.
Thanks RW. And it's true - I shouldn't have called him stupid. I do over-react sometimes, and then I have to calm down. I'm not a bad guy and I'm actually pretty happy - not sad and tragic.

Thanks RW. And it's true - I shouldn't have called him stupid. I do over-react sometimes, and then I have to calm down. I'm not a bad guy and I'm actually pretty happy - not sad and tragic.
That was a quote from Super Troopers BTW.

It's OK everyone.

Seriously, I have much better things to do in life than to hang out with people who call me "stupid" and make fun of me. So - engineerboards.com is not one of those places I will spend my time. My posts have been good and had insightful information in them. Some have been funny - but obviously some of you have no appreciation for my sense of humor. That's ok, you all have the right to judge my sense of humor.

But I also have the right to choose where and I spend my time. Engineerboards.com is not one of those places and I will not add more posts here. Some of you may be happy, some of you may regret losing someone who could contribute regularly. But that's my choice and the one I will choose.

Something you all should know is none of you are reflecting postively on the profession of engineers. Non-engineers find this board on occasion, and none of these posts are advancing the professionl. One this is on the internet it's visible to everyone, and I would encourage all of us to do what we can to advance the profession.

Good luck to you and everyone else on engineerboards.com

Back