I'd like to suggest to NCEES...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BORICUAZO

Reaction score
Knowing that NCEES agents monitor this website, I'd like to suggest the following:

1. At this time in the 21st century, NCEES must find a way to post our results in advance on their web site: "PASS" or "Failed".

2. Problems on the exam should be placed beginning with the easy ones, in order of difficulty from 1 to 40 (AM & PM).

2. Problems on the exam should be placed beginning with the easy ones, in order of difficulty from 1 to 40 (AM & PM).
I don't know if I agree with that one. Design work doesn't start with the easiest task and work up to the hardest task. There are easy, challenging, and real difficult aspects to things all along the way. What you're proposing sounds like a round of Jeopardy!.

I don't know if I agree with that one. Design work doesn't start with the easiest task and work up to the hardest task. There are easy, challenging, and real difficult aspects to things all along the way. What you're proposing sounds like a round of Jeopardy!.

Can I buy a vowel?

Can I buy a vowel?
I'm assuming either

A. That was a joke.

or

B. Your knowledge of engineering is better than your knowledge of Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had volunteered for grading/preparing the test (with NCEES). I couldn't make it this time, however from the email I got, the volunteers (for Civil PE) are meeting sometime May 15-16 for a workshop to set the passing score. I wonder why does it take that long (4 weeks) for them to meet, well logistical issues I guess.. I would personally like for them to meet earlier, since the meet is planned starting January so there is ample time for people to accomodate the dates in their schedule..

oh well, who cares what i think...

I'm assuming either A. That was a joke.

or

B. Your knowledge of engineering is better than your knowledge of Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.
I don't think it is appropriate for you to be discussing exam answers in this forum.

You have been reported!

Cement's right. Having the easy problems sprinkled throughout and how you respond to addressing the problems is a part of the test.

I worked both sections from 1 through 40. I think it is a waste of time to go all the way through the exam, flagging more difficult questions for working at the end. I work them all, then mark those that I either had to guess, or just didn't really understand. But I put an answer on my sheet regardless. If I had extra time, I go back to the marked problems and try to work through my issues on it. I feel that this way, there is no way I could be guessing on problems at the end of the exam. Then again, I had 45 extra minutes at the end of the first half, and 1h15m at the end of the 2nd...after I went back and reviewed difficult questions.

I think time managment is very important. I did Q40 to Q1 in the morning (starting with the water resources) and Q1 to Q40 in the afternoon. If I see that I am spending more time in the question than I wanted, I jumped. During practice I stuck in some questions with this "macho" how can I miss this easy question mentality and never finished a single practice exam on time, including the NCEES ones. But during the real exam my strategy paid off by starting on Q40 becaused I breathed through the 8 question of WR/ENV and this builds your confidence. But if I followed my pratice habit I could spend a ton of time on one geotech question still I don't know how to solve it now forget about then.. I gladly accepted to put my spare time which was over an hour on making sure I answered others than stuck on this one. It was not a matter of time. I could have spend my whole hour on that question. In stead I decided not to do and left that question alone.

The time management part really hurt me. I completely ran out of time both sessions and had to guess a fair amount at the end so I at least had an answer for each before they called time.

I went in thinking I'd go through and do all the easy problems first and go back, but then I'd hit a problem that I -thought- I knew, but didn't really. And dickered away 15 or 20 minutes on a few of those. And would get mad at myself for not figuring it out, and not able to let it go and move on.

Maybe that's part of the point. If so, kudo because it bit me!

If I had enough time, there were probabaly around 5-6 I really didn't have a clue on in the morning, and maybe 7-8 I didn't have a clue on in the afternoon. I would have felt much better with 6 guesses in the morning and 8 guesses in the afternoon than 10-12 guesses in the morning and 15 guess in the afternoon because I ran out of time. I'd even look at the problem and think, "I'm pretty sure I know how to do that, but I want to get an answer for everything so I don't get caught with unanswered problems when they call time!" and didn't get back to it with enough time to work it. Frustrating!

I kept telling myself to skip it and move on, but couldn't make myself actually do that....

:brickwall:

I kept telling myself to skip it and move on, but couldn't make myself actually do that....:brickwall:
That's the hard part! You are not alone all of us do it and I found out in my practice with NCCES sample exam. I finished only 17 out of the 20 on time and of those remaining three I could do 2 of them in just a minutes (that's a 10min saving and some moral booster), one even you don't need a minute if you know the concept, I mean you can calculate it in your head, it was that easy (this is not exaguration). But didn't get there. This has a huge repercussion at least for me. the more question you answer quickly and correctly, the more your mind relax and "think" it can solve anything. Also accept defeat. That was my problem, saying OK I can't solve this now or within this time (it may or may not be true but it rests your mind). I took a page from professional boxers: no matter how good you look unbeatable, there is somebody, somewhere, in some corner of the world that can beat you. That's how I learned. My biggest ago was my education..but I think I deflate that..

Good luck to you.

I made my way through the exam in order, but circled anything I couldn't get quickly and kept going. I probably had about 10 circled in the AM and 8 circled in the PM. After getting through the entire exam, I had a lot of time left and used it to figure out as many of the tougher questions as possible. A few times, that meant I sat there and read short passages in a textbook or found sample problems to mimic in a topic I hadn't studied much. I picked up a few points that way, but I was only comfortable spending that time reading and looking for sample problems because I knew I had already gotten all of the "low hanging fruit."

I don't think I'd like having the questions presented in "easy to hard" order. I'd get really psyched out if I couldn't solve the "easy" problems, and it might affect my performance on the "harder" problems! Plus, my "easy" might be someone else's "hard," or vice versa, depending on what we studied and what our backgrounds are.

I had volunteered for grading/preparing the test (with NCEES). I couldn't make it this time, however from the email I got, the volunteers (for Civil PE) are meeting sometime May 15-16 for a workshop to set the passing score. I wonder why does it take that long (4 weeks) for them to meet, well logistical issues I guess.. I would personally like for them to meet earlier, since the meet is planned starting January so there is ample time for people to accomodate the dates in their schedule..
oh well, who cares what i think...

MAY 15th?!?! Here's my suggestion to NCESS:

MEET FREAKING SOONER!

Since the individual knowledge base of the test takers is variable, how could possibly so this? What might be "easy" for some people is "difficult" for others and vice-versa.

(also, for some people (who only tote along the CERM for casual reference) they're all easy so where would you start?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked both sections from 1 through 40. I think it is a waste of time to go all the way through the exam, flagging more difficult questions for working at the end.
I agree totally. There's no magic order to them. Do one, focus on it, move onto the next one. Come back if you have time. Better than wasting time jumping around randomly or assigned a rank to it.

(also, for some people (who only tote along the CERM for casual reference) they're all easy so where would you start?)
With the stormwater modeling questions, obviously. If you can tackle the hardest topic in CE first, the rest is in the bag!

^^Yeah, but the first poster wanted the easiest first, so the stormwater modeling, which is the hardest thing in CE, would have to be the last questions on the test.

Knowing that NCEES agents monitor this website, I'd like to suggest the following:
What is easy to you may be difficult for others and visa versa.

I think that if the NCEES is going to use this forum to track down cases of cheating and/or collusion, they should also contribute to the forum by answering questions about the exam. For instance, they could explain the thought process behind not holding a meeting to set the pass score until the middle of May. Or perhaps shed some more light on their determination of the passing score.

I really don't understand all of the secrecy surrounding the passing score. We are engineers, so we are naturally curious about the numbers behind something. It almost seems like they are trying to piss us off by withholding raw scores, curves, and now they won't even give us any type of score on the exam. I know that my letter from the Indiana board when I passed the FE had 78% written in pencil on the top of it. What harm would it do to officially include raw score, curved score, passing score, and pass rate on the letters?

Back