I need info on ME PE license to concentrate on exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielson9609

Reaction score
I'm a mechanical engineer and I'm wondering how to go about choosing the right PE license for me.

In the past I've worked manufacturing which has nothing to do with the following ME fields:

HVAC

Machine design

thermal fluid power

How do I choose the type of PE exam to study since I haven't done much work on any of these 3 fields?

I do know I would like to have a PE Mechanical license because It opens up a new job market. I just don't know which PE license to practice that would actually be more marketable in the area where I live.

your input will be greatly appreciated?

Dan

depends on the state. Not all states distinguish disciples on the PE. a PE is PE is PE...you practice within your knowledge base.

Dan, some might say to take the PE that you are more likely to pass based on subject matter.

What are you doing now as a job?

I would say either go for Machine Design or Thermo/Fluid. Don't bother taking the HVAC exam unless you have actual HVAC consulting experience. I have a feeling the HVAC exam is a bit more code and ASHRAE heavy, which may be more difficult without experience.

Most review books will have all three disciplines in them. So you can look through the subject matter and figure out what you're more comfortable with.

Most licenses will just say "Professional Engineer - Mechanical", so whichever afternoon exam you take won't be limiting. The requirement is that you only stamp something that you're compenent in. So if you know nothing about HVAC, but stamp HVAC plans, the state engineering board could require you to prove your knowledge or experience in HVAC. This would only happen if something went wrong with the design.

Back