I failed the POWER PE Please Help!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well the second time around I used CI as my guide to studying things I didnt know. Just went through it, 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. If i came across something I got wrong, I looked it up and fully understood it. Printed out anything I found online that helped me understand it, watched youtube videos explaining it.  I also signed up for the On demand School of PE course so I could watch recordings from last season and had access to the workshop problems, so I could go through them before the live classes started then I asked any questions during hte live classes. SOPE also allows you to email the instructor if you have a question outside the live classes.

The first time around i fully relied on the course to guide me through problems, I like the course workshop problems, but more problems the better and CI did it for me. I think I will sell it if anyone wants to PM me for it and other items I have. I'll do an advert as well i guess.

Also make sure you sit down one week before the exam for 8 full hours and take atleast one full practice exam, I tried to do two 8 hour exams in a row but i crashed so I stopped, but it really gets you in the zone on using your reference material and fixing anything you didnt tab properly before the exam
I have the CI problems and i averaged about 80% on those practice exams i liked them and they were kind of on par with the difficulty of the test...again i will make sure i fully understand how a problem is solved and gather tons of information on a problem area where i encounter issues.  Two full 8 hour exams in a row?!? That's Wild!

GT has better notes unless SOPE really had an overhaul in the past few years. Less errors in the notes as well from what I remember.

If you get GT, use the binder as a template to build your own resources. Fill in the 'holes' with additional materials to supplement the material. Then of course, study your ass off.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Does GT give you the option of contacting the instructors or do you just have to watch the videos and just learn on your own??

Does GT give you the option of contacting the instructors or do you just have to watch the videos and just learn on your own??
The videos are pre-recorded, but you can email the prof and he generally replies rather quickly. 

I need some sort of review course to help out for sure I will have to pick from SOPE / GA Tech...hopefully more people that passed can weigh in on what courses they would best recommend.
I used one of the vendors here, @Electrical PE Review, for my review course. The videos are prerecorded and the written material is concise. His website is laid out very well and each module concludes with a quiz to test comprehension and retention. The instructor (Zach Stone) was very responsive via email (responses to emailed questions generally received within 24 hours).

Zach doesn't simply read slides and monotonously recite material into the camera - you get a sense that he enjoys passing along the information and takes a real interest in your success. Much like the intro of Spin-Up, Zach's introduction was encouraging and helped put things in perspective.

Some of his later videos even show his calculator in the lower-left screen, from which I learned a lot of shortcuts (TI 36X Pro).

Overall, I would say that his course can prepare you if you go through the whole thing and supplement it with other references (PPI, CI, Spin-Up, etc). Don't worry about asking questions and pointing out anything that you don't think looks right - he's always gracious and appreciative if you do uncover an Easter egg.

The videos are pre-recorded, but you can email the prof and he generally replies rather quickly. 
Good to know! Thanks...i recently recieved the SOPE binder from a collegue so i will look into it and see what they cover. Leaning towards GT now...should i ditch the test masters and PPI material I think i will i have too much material learning the same thing different ways.

I used one of the vendors here, @Electrical PE Review, for my review course. The videos are prerecorded and the written material is concise. His website is laid out very well and each module concludes with a quiz to test comprehension and retention. The instructor (Zach Stone) was very responsive via email (responses to emailed questions generally received within 24 hours).
I second his course. I found it early enough to not have to pay for it (it was free until earlier this year), but his explanations were great and notes were very detailed. Given the depth of information, I would say it's worth the price.

I second his course. I found it early enough to not have to pay for it (it was free until earlier this year), but his explanations were great and notes were very detailed. Given the depth of information, I would say it's worth the price.

Zach doesn't simply read slides and monotonously recite material into the camera - you get a sense that he enjoys passing along the information and takes a real interest in your success. Much like the intro of Spin-Up, Zach's introduction was encouraging and helped put things in perspective.

Some of his later videos even show his calculator in the lower-left screen, from which I learned a lot of shortcuts (TI 36X Pro).

Overall, I would say that his course can prepare you if you go through the whole thing and supplement it with other references (PPI, CI, Spin-Up, etc). Don't worry about asking questions and pointing out anything that you don't think looks right - he's always gracious and appreciative if you do uncover an Easter egg.
Thanks for your feedback. I will be examining my options and i hope the one i pick is best suited for me to learn and prepare for this October.

well the second time around I used CI as my guide to studying things I didnt know. Just went through it, 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. If i came across something I got wrong, I looked it up and fully understood it. Printed out anything I found online that helped me understand it, watched youtube videos explaining it.  I also signed up for the On demand School of PE course so I could watch recordings from last season and had access to the workshop problems, so I could go through them before the live classes started then I asked any questions during hte live classes. SOPE also allows you to email the instructor if you have a question outside the live classes.

The first time around i fully relied on the course to guide me through problems, I like the course workshop problems, but more problems the better and CI did it for me. I think I will sell it if anyone wants to PM me for it and other items I have. I'll do an advert as well i guess.

Also make sure you sit down one week before the exam for 8 full hours and take atleast one full practice exam, I tried to do two 8 hour exams in a row but i crashed so I stopped, but it really gets you in the zone on using your reference material and fixing anything you didnt tab properly before the exam
:plusone: I even went so far as to work a sample test each Saturday for the last month prior to the exam.  Either a CI or Spinup under simulated test conditions.  Whatever problems I struggled with I'd focus on studying that material the following week.  It does get you into the zone.

:plusone: I even went so far as to work a sample test each Saturday for the last month prior to the exam.  Either a CI or Spinup under simulated test conditions.  Whatever problems I struggled with I'd focus on studying that material the following week.  It does get you into the zone.
I did the same thing after finishing the course. Practicing under exam conditions cannot be overstated. Time management is key. 

I appreciate the feedback and the mention from both of you, but I am mostly glad to hear that you found the material from the Electrical PE Review course both worthwhile and refreshing!

I appreciate the feedback and the mention from both of you, but I am mostly glad to hear that you found the material from the Electrical PE Review course both worthwhile and refreshing!
Absolutely!

I honestly feel that I passed because of your course. Keep at it it, Zach! Anyone taking your course would benefit from your course and your willingness to provide personal support. 

I am not, in any way, devaluing other vendors or other courses; I'm simply relating my own first-person experience with @Electrical PE Review as a positive one. 

Full disclosure: I've not taken another review course aside from @Electrical PE Review. The reader's personal experience/mileage may vary. 

@Electrical PE Review let me add that while I didn't take Zach's course, I did go over some of the topics he covered. Leading / Lagging and transformers, he is by FAR the best source. I was already signed up for SOPE, so didn't feel I needed an additional course, but Zach's explanations are on point. Nice work 

@Electrical PE Review let me add that while I didn't take Zach's course, I did go over some of the topics he covered. Leading / Lagging and transformers, he is by FAR the best source. I was already signed up for SOPE, so didn't feel I needed an additional course, but Zach's explanations are on point. Nice work 

Thanks Limamike!

Glad you found my material helpful. 

Liammike so did you use both SOPE and Electrical PE review to study for your exam?

Liammike so did you use both SOPE and Electrical PE review to study for your exam?
@hotfudge, I didn't take the Electrical PE Review as a course. Zach had a bunch of videos on YouTube and I studied from several of them. 

I did take sope and sope made leaps and bounds in its progress of putting out a better product and teachers vs Nieves (who many people here have said was beyond terrible). That said, the topics on lead/lag/capacitive/inductive and transformers, none of the material I saw, was as clear as Zachs. For example,  when doing a circuit analysis on a Delta - Wye, the need to convert the delta to  Wye in order to make the analysis easier... Just small tricks, which I didn't see in grapheo, sope, ppi or the several other books I studied from. 

So, I think that is was a great complement

@hotfudge, I didn't take the Electrical PE Review as a course. Zach had a bunch of videos on YouTube and I studied from several of them. 

I did take sope and sope made leaps and bounds in its progress of putting out a better product and teachers vs Nieves (who many people here have said was beyond terrible). That said, the topics on lead/lag/capacitive/inductive and transformers, none of the material I saw, was as clear as Zachs. For example,  when doing a circuit analysis on a Delta - Wye, the need to convert the delta to  Wye in order to make the analysis easier... Just small tricks, which I didn't see in grapheo, sope, ppi or the several other books I studied from. 

So, I think that is was a great complement
Alrighty...sounds good. Thanks for the feedback!

Back