I failed, I admit, now Please help - Power Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my two cents:

You state you're not a practicing power engineer - no problem. If you picked up a lot going through School of PE's course, sign up for the free repeat. I'm sure you'll pick up additional items that will only help.

As far as references, take as many as you can manage. In my opinion, taking previously worked problems is a waste (I did use any of them and wish I left them at home). Here's a link to everything I took and what I used:

If you're looking for a bare minimum (which I don't recommend), I would say:

1. NEC
2. NESC
3. NFPA 70E
4. Your course notes
5. Any books you have from college
6. Graffeo

You took SOPE.  I did also, and managed to do far more than scrape by.  Their notes needed a lot of highlighting in order to easily recognize headings, valuable information, formulas, etc.  Also, create an index containing every heading/subheading so you can easily navigate the notes.  I spent MANY hours just organizing this.  Think my index, with 2 columns per sheet, was about 8 pages long... but priceless during prep and during the exam!  Put the index and your custom formula cheat sheet into a paper brad folder so it's easy to use during the exam.

From what I recall, my main resources during the exam were SOPE notes, NEC, NESC, and Camara book (although Camara wasn't used for much).  The CI practice test was pretty useless.  NCEES and SOPE practice problems were very good.  I also bought Grainger, Wildi, etc. but didn't really use them. 

Re-take SOPE and pause the lectures to research topics yourself.  The recordings are supposed to be 64 hours.  I prob spent prob 3-4x that much time when going through the lectures, since I'd pause, Google a topic, and really ensure I understood it fundamentally.  Things like PU, symmetrical components, +/- 30 deg phase between Wye and Delta, electromag machine mechanics, autotransformers, etc.  Go beyond just passively watching the SOPE class and hoping you'll find the answer in your notes during the exam.
Thanks. I did make a pretty intense index using tabs for each subject. Your right about researching topics and pausing the lecture as you go, I did that for the first 2 sections but the last two sections (rotating machines and transmission lines) I didnt have enough time for. Can you please share a copy of your index with me for the SOPE notes?

I took SOPE, and all I can tell you is that the instructor , is terrible,  at best. Reads right out of the notes, verbatim. Even the problem set, which is copied right out of the Villanova problems set, he reads word for word. You can follow my frustration with this guy, through my threads. And it's unfortunate that Sope management does not make a changes. They have so much better electrical instructors on staff!  Interested to see how they adapt, and hopefully make a much needed change to their power course in April 17.
I agree. I had him for my FE electrical portion too and never liked him. He brushes off questions too sometimes. He is very good in some areas though, I guess thats with any instructor. The notes are very good but not indexed. 

I'm interested as to who you are talking about.

I had Dr. Robert Nieves and thought he was top notch!

I'm interested as to who you are talking about.

I had Dr. Robert Nieves and thought he was top notch!
He was a very good instructor. However, there were a couple of items he mention that just weren't correct at all. The one I remember is the section on sudden pressure and Buchholz relay. He tried to say they were the same thing and that's just not true. A Buchholz device can do functions a sudden pressure relay can do, but it also has a flow component inside the mechanism that has to have a minimum level (usually of oil between the casing and conservator tank) in order to operate. This level is determined via float switch and the operate setpoints of the device can be adjusted based on the position of this float switch. A sudden pressure relay is a pure, pressure only type device. It doesn't require extra permissives in order to operate. There were a couple of other things too I can't remember.

Bottom line, I think if you're going to do power, it really gives you a leg up to be working in the field and dealing with these devices and components. However, I won't say the exam is impossible without having done so.

Fair enough; I certainly didn't have that experience. All is good.

@TWJ PEWell if you are gonna name the man's name. THE GUY SUCKED AIR. That's to put it nicely. They have at-least three or four other guys, that are better than him daily and twice on Sunday!. BUT, everyone is entitled to their opinion. @TNSparky not only in your case, but his mic is always messed up and he claimed it is not, he clowned several people in our class for asking questions that were related to residential wiring, reads right out of the book like a PDF automated reader - dont ever ask him to expand on the "Concept" because he will tell you, "that's not part of the course" and what I find most FUNNY, is he has a PhD in business. NOT engineering.  Come on man!..... :)

@TWJ PE @Limamike  Mine was Dr Nieves, as well.  Have mixed opinions about his teaching style... That's why I spent so much time, with the video paused, to research topics myself which I didn't feel he covered well, or in which he made mistakes.  All in all, the course notes and practice problems were very integral to my success.

Back