HVAC books

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

EdinNO

Can anyone out there recommend any worthwhile books on HVAC system design? Perhaps some hand books, rules-of-thumb, etc...? Something dealing with real-world duct design, pipe sizing, cooling load calcs, etc...?

I am just getting into the consulting engineering side of the HVAC world after mostly working as a controls contractor or for an HVAC equipment manufacturer.

Thanks,

Ed

If you don't have them already, you will want to get all the latest and greatest ASHRAE books. Join ASHRAE and you will get a slight discount. If you have to pay for them yourself, you could search Amazon and pick up some relatively "cheap", but they'll be potentially outdated somewhat. They have 4 books and rotate updates through them each year, so every book will be updated every 4 years.

I think there's:

1. Applications

2. Systems

3. Refrigeration

4. can't remember the 4th?

Thanks tdthomas,

We have those at the office. The 4th is Fundamentals I think.

I try to use them as I can, but they are so verbose and detailed, they almost make me want to find something else.

Do you use them regularly?

Ed

Last edited:
I don't do HVAC design, but a buddy of mine is all over it. I'll ask him. :dunno:

Kind of reminds me, I need to have an excuse to go out and eat some wings and drink beer anyway... Thanks! I'm sure he's available for a little liquid refreshment.

My friend says:

I use Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning Analysis and Design by Faye C. McQuiston & Jerald D. Parker, Published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

I also use ASHRAE Principles of Heating, Ventilating and Air-Conditioning which is published and distributed by ASHRAE. You can probably find the book at several on-line stores. You don't have to buy it direct for ASHRAE. I think the newest version is a green covered book.

Both books use the ASHRAE Handbooks for reference.

There are lots and lots of design guide books out there but I think the ASHRAE Principles of Heating, Ventilating and Air-Conditioning and the ASHRAE handbooks are a must in any HVAC engineer's library. The handbooks are very difficult to read through and they don't teach and engineer about design. They are formated for reference. The principles book is formated for teaching.

Hope that helps! :study

Thanks a lot!

A agree that the ASHRAE books are difficult to read. I'll check out the ASHRAE Principles of Heating, Ventilating and Air-Conditioning.

Ed

I use Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning Analysis and Design by Faye C. McQuiston & Jerald D. Parker, Published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Yeah, I had that book in college. It's a very good book. Man I miss HVAC now :(

ASHRAE is booring! (Their great, but a real boore.)

I use a collection of stuff ive collected over the years. Some from here some from there. I have the Trane AC manual and the Carrier one as well. I also use my copy of ``SMACNA HVAC system design'' for alot of stuff. But look to catalogs for free info. -e.g. Go to the Greenheck catalog for sizing louvers. Go to Titus for sizing Diffusers/throw. Etc.

Oh and i almost forgot one of the best books. Your code book. Maybe booring, but it will teach you about what you can and cant do to systems. -e.g your condensate drain has to be sized this way. Or your U.G. gas line has to be this deep, etc.

someone mentioned the code books, they are pretty good, IMC, IFGC, NSPC etc.

someone else mentioned manufacturers sites with free sizing info, Greenheck, Cook, Titus, Trane, etc some have sheets you can print out to fill out for sizing and some others have programs you can download for free for sizing (B&G Pump Sizer, CAPS for Greenheck, Cook has one too)

SMACNA Books and Trane Ductulator are good for duct sizing.

i also have:

HVAC Equations, Data and Rules of Thumb by Arthur A. Bell

HVAC Systems Design Handbook 3rd Edition by Roger Haines and G. Lewis Wilson

Back