HP 33S

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodfat

rodfat
Reaction score
Is there a way on the HP 33S to enter into the calculator degrees, minutes, seconds.

Example: How would you enter 78 degrees, 35 minutes, 30 seconds into the Calculator?

If you can do this on the HP 33S how do you convert minutes and seconds to degree?

Rodfat:

I don't have my 33s with me, but I'll give it a shot. If I understand your question, you want to convert 78 degrees, 35 minutes, 30 seconds into a decimal form (hours) to use in an equation.

Try this. Enter 78.3530 and then green shift 5 ([arrow] HR). That should work for you (if I remember correctly).

On the 33s you need to use the "->HR" and "->HMS" to convert between decimal and minutes/seconds. It's on the "5" key.

Make sure the 33S is set to display 4 (or more digits). If not, hit the "DISPLAY" button, then 1 (for FIX), and then 4 (or more).

Then enter a DMS value in the following format DD.MMSS, where DD are degrees, MM are minutes, and SS are seconds. So 78 degrees, 35 minutes, 30 seconds = 78.3530

Then hit [left-shift] 5 to convert into decimal degrees = 78.5917

Then hit [right-shift]4 to go back to DMS = 78.3530

You need to add a preceding zero if you have a single-digit value for MM or SS. Suppose you have 40 degrees, 7 minutes, and 3 seconds. That would be entered as 40.0703.

Is there a way on the HP 33S to enter into the calculator degrees, minutes, seconds.
Example: How would you enter 78 degrees, 35 minutes, 30 seconds into the Calculator?

If you can do this on the HP 33S how do you convert minutes and seconds to degree?
At the risk of sounding aloof, try the owners manual. I found everything I needed in there. For DMS I just broke it down to decimals, which is pretty easy and quick.

Tark, you're great! you have answered my problem too...

Thanks

Make sure the 33S is set to display 4 (or more digits). If not, hit the "DISPLAY" button, then 1 (for FIX), and then 4 (or more).
Then enter a DMS value in the following format DD.MMSS, where DD are degrees, MM are minutes, and SS are seconds. So 78 degrees, 35 minutes, 30 seconds = 78.3530

Then hit [left-shift] 5 to convert into decimal degrees = 78.5917

Then hit [right-shift]4 to go back to DMS = 78.3530

You need to add a preceding zero if you have a single-digit value for MM or SS. Suppose you have 40 degrees, 7 minutes, and 3 seconds. That would be entered as 40.0703.

Back