HP 33s

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdcengineer

Sharp as a piece of beach glass
Reaction score
To all those looking for an approved calculator for the PE exam (and wanting RPN), avoid the HP 33s. Mine died recently after one year of use. Hp won't repair without proof of purchase - who saves receipts for a cheap calculator. And HP can't repair the thing - I can't even open it w/o expecting it to break. The #2 key is wobbling - a common problem so I hear.

Bummed out because it was a decent machine, but no way can it compare to my 42s of old!! Pretty lame customer support from HP. Just another ball-kick in the new energy economy..

I had the same problem with my 33s. (It's a POS!)

I have since upgraded to a 35s and haven't had a problem.

As an engineer I have NEVER used RPN.
I got hooked on RPN in college and have trouble using a normal calculator anymore. It is funny when someone grabs my calculator and just sits there staring at it with really confused look on their face.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still using my 22 y.o. Casio fx-115D (from freshman year in h.s.) and 16 y.o. HP 48G (from junior year in college).

I have two TI's. My older one is a TI-36x Solar and I've had it since the mid 90's. I got the TI-86 as a freshman in college.

RPN is for lazy engineers.

I wasn't that impressed with the HP33s either. In fact, the only time I used it was for the exam. It's just sitting in a desk now.

Still using my 22 y.o. Casio fx-115D (from freshman year in h.s.) and 16 y.o. HP 48G (from junior year in college).
I use my HP 48G for day-to-day work too. It has teeting marks and scratches but works just fine. :D

I've heard that if you want the most efficient way to get the job done, ask a lazy engineer..
FTW!

JR

I'm disappointed to see there's this smack talk about the HP 33s, I got mine while studying for the FE exam in 2006 after someone told me that RPN was the way to go to become more efficient at calculating, i've only had to replace the batteries once and havent had any problems with it.... whoa, I just found my HP 33s users guide in one of my office drawers after pausing from typing this out for a moment. Last week I looked all over my place trying to find this thing. I've been meaning to figure out how to get it so solve equations for me,, last night I still had trouble with a Manning's equation problem where the width of a channel was unknown and so you have the unknown width in the A and R of Mannings equation. Maybe I can finally get the calculator ready to do that for me on test day. Anyway, I'm a huge fan of my HP 33s and RPN, i give credit to both for helping me pass the FE on the first try. ... Good thing I'm in the Rant Room...

I have three of them...I bought 2 for the PE exam, and when I found out they improved the display, I bought a 3rd one and that's the one I passed the exam with, and still use it every day here at work! I love it....although I will admit, when it dies, I'll probably get something else, instead of using the other ones with the crappy display.

Back