How to you know your score if you pass?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YL-2017

Reaction score
Congratulations to those who passes.  

How to you know your score if you pass?

What the the cutoff line this time?

Any one know?

Short answer is you don't. 

With out some serious collaboration to find out the highest failing score in your specific discipline you took, you will know the highest score that failed and you will never know your score. Just be satisfied with a pass and I think someone else put it perfect. What do you call a doctor that gets all C's during his schooling and completes his residency.........Doctor! 

Short answer is you don't. 

With out some serious collaboration to find out the highest failing score in your specific discipline you took, you will know the highest score that failed and you will never know your score. Just be satisfied with a pass and I think someone else put it perfect. What do you call a doctor that gets all C's during his schooling and completes his residency.........Doctor! 
Good answer.  Thank you.!

for texas,  you can find out your score on the texas board website

If you're from Texas, you can check your score on the TBPE website. 

I passed with a score of 70 which is probably super borderline passing. Someone failed with a 67. (Source: the Texas thread)

I passed with a score of 70 which is probably super borderline passing. Someone failed with a 67. (Source: the Texas thread)
Forgot to mention that I took the Civil/Structural test.

You mean 70% right? not 70/80

I kinda feel a little jealous that Texas gives you some feedback and CA doesn't......

why...  <_<

lol

You mean 70% right? not 70/80
Update: I actually just talked to my coworker and he said my score of 70 doesn't mean it's 70%, but it's not 70 out of 80 either. Seems to be some kind of an arbitrary scale? I'm not sure how exactly it works, I'm a first time taker. 

All I know is that for Texas, they'll tell you "Score: ##" where typically the passing cutoff is 65-70 and there are people who score higher than 80. 

Update: I actually just talked to my coworker and he said my score of 70 doesn't mean it's 70%, but it's not 70 out of 80 either. Seems to be some kind of an arbitrary scale? I'm not sure how exactly it works, I'm a first time taker. 

All I know is that for Texas, they'll tell you "Score: ##" where typically the passing cutoff is 65-70 and there are people who score higher than 80. 
I guess we shall just sit back and relax.  :)

You would need to collaborate with test takers from Texas. First, you'd need someone with a passing score of 70 (assuming this is the lowest possible). Then you'll need to find someone with a failing of 69 (assuming this is the highest failing possible) and then ask for their NCEES diagnostic and determine what their score was on there. 

You would need to collaborate with test takers from Texas. First, you'd need someone with a passing score of 70 (assuming this is the lowest possible). Then you'll need to find someone with a failing of 69 (assuming this is the highest failing possible) and then ask for their NCEES diagnostic and determine what their score was on there. 
Ok. thats for the passing score. 

Do you know if there is a way to find out how many questions I got right, since they dont give you your score if you pass.

@YL-2017, no. And why should you (or anyone) care? A pass is a pass is a pass. Be grateful for that!
I know a pass is a pass.   Easy to figure out.  Well you spend well over 200 hours on it.  It is a good reflection of your 200 hour work.  I get to know yourself better with a score in terms of how efficient you were.  So later you do better in terms of estimating hours or similar stuff. 

We all know plenty of engineers that aren't licensed, but are probably the smartest and best ones out there. Then there are those that are licensed and are subpar.. 

I know a pass is a pass.   Easy to figure out.  Well you spend well over 200 hours on it.  It is a good reflection of your 200 hour work.  I get to know yourself better with a score in terms of how efficient you were.  So later you do better in terms of estimating hours or similar stuff. 
You won't later need to know for estimating hours......because you passed you don't have to do it again.

You're done unless you're going on to take SE, which is a different ball game altogether and I wouldn't worry about it.

Some people may spend 200, 400, or 20 hours and pass it is more about that person's experience in life,how they test, and frankly a little luck. 

Make up a score if that makes you feel better or change it every time you tell someone what you got just like my boss does.¿ IDK¿
980x.jpg

Go back to the state board and challenge your passing score.

Generally, it's 70% correct to pass.  However, each exam is individually evaluated on it's level of difficulty, and each question is analyzed to eliminate any outliers. You may have answered 80 questions, but you may only be graded on 78-79, and then graded on a bit of a curve (anywhere from 68-72%) depending on an array of reasons.

At the end, you will still study to get as many correct as you can. You won't study only 70% of the material or only answer 70% of the questions. And then as others have pointed out, a pass is a pass.

Back