How to Prepare for the AM PE Exam (Civil)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pars

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am preparing my self to take the PE Exam only for the 8 hour since the fees has gone to the roof!!

I am considering Transportation. I have decided to use CERM for the morning session and Goswami book for the afternoon session (Transportation).

I am kind of weak in structures and concrete subjects. I was wondering if the CERM would be sufficient to cover the morning section pertaining to structures and concrete questions?

Do you recommend any other references or materials to prepare?

Thanks

pars,

Hi.

I'll assume you are in CA based on your first sentence (not everyone here is in CA so they may not know what you mean by 'only' the 8-hr, and increased fees).

Both the CERM and the All In One are primarily morning books (there is a lot of useful PM stuff, but you'll still need more).

Yes, the CERM (and/or All In One) is enough for AM.

Yes, you should get more study references. Check out the NCEES list of required resources for Transpo and also check the Transpo sub-forum here.

Good luck.

Hi All,

I am preparing my self to take the PE Exam only for the 8 hour since the fees has gone to the roof!!

I am considering Transportation. I have decided to use CERM for the morning session and Goswami book for the afternoon session (Transportation).

I am kind of weak in structures and concrete subjects. I was wondering if the CERM would be sufficient to cover the morning section pertaining to structures and concrete questions?

Do you recommend any other references or materials to prepare?

Thanks
You need a Green Book, Highway Capacity Manual, Roadside Design Guide, MUTCD, and possibly a few other ones.

You need a Green Book, Highway Capacity Manual, Roadside Design Guide, MUTCD, and possibly a few other ones.
These are only necessary for the afternoon.
IMO the CERM is sufficient for the AM, provided you understand where and how to find what you need in it. Two ways to judge this is to take the NCEES outline and start looking through the CERM for each of the items to understand how to find them, and the other way is to take the NCEES practice exams. They are a very good guide as to what to expect both with difficulty as well as overall expectations.

Back