How To Hide Your House From Google Maps

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
The bad news is that there is no way to keep your address off of Google Maps. The good news is that you can get Google to blur out your property so Google Maps users will not see it. Here’s the process which is outlined at Google.

How to get your property blurred:

• Go to Google Maps and type in your address
  • Bring up the street view of your property
  • Look to the bottom right hand corner of the screen you should see an Icon Labeled: “report a problem.”
  • Click on “report a problem.”
  • You will get a page labeled “report inappropriate street view.”
  • Look for the words “Privacy Concerns” and click on them.
  • If you want your house blurred, click on “my house.” Then choose the option: “I have a picture of my house and would like it blurred.”
  • Adjust the image and show Google which part of the photo needs blurred.
  • Type the verification code at the bottom of the page into the box provided and click submit.
  • Check back in a few days to see if the image has been blurred.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2013/10/30/how-to-hide-your-house-from-google-maps/

Of course, the downside could be, "Hey, look! This house is blurred! Must be worth checking out!

Sometimes the best defense is to not draw attention to yourself by being different from others around you.

The bad news is that there is no way to keep your address off of Google Maps. The good news is that you can get Google to blur out your property so Google Maps users will not see it. Here’s the process which is outlined at Google.

Bring up the street view of your property
Look to the bottom right hand corner of the screen you should see an Icon Labeled: “report a problem.”
Click on “report a problem.”
You will get a page labeled “report inappropriate street view.”
Look for the words “Privacy Concerns” and click on them.
If you want your house blurred, click on “my house.” Then choose the option: “I have a picture of my house and would like it blurred.”
Adjust the image and show Google which part of the photo needs blurred.
Type the verification code at the bottom of the page into the box provided and click submit.
Check back in a few days to see if the image has been blurred.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2013/10/30/how-to-hide-your-house-from-google-maps/

Of course, the downside could be, "Hey, look! This house is blurred! Must be worth checking out!

Sometimes the best defense is to not draw attention to yourself by being different from others around you.

tumblr_kptbflwK2C1qzutyz_zpsef29659d.jpg

This is the view of the road that leads to my house. They didn't feel the need to get a panoramic of Kentucky's back roads. I think I'm safe.

Capture.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell, I had trick or treater parents taking pictures of my house on Thursday... kind of made me worried, like maybe everybody in town but me knows that my house is haunted and were like, "hey kids, get in front of the real haunted house and we'll take your picture!" It was a little bit odd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell, I had trick or treater parents taking pictures of my house on Thursday... kind of made me worried, like maybe everybody in town but me knows that my house is haunted and were like, "hey kids, get in front of the real haunted house and we'll take your picture!" It was a little bit odd.

Everybody smile and say murder house!

all the mapping programs put our address in the wrong spot so no worries here
My parents' house is like that - mostly because some idiot didn't know how to count and numbered the houses out of order. Part of my directions to childhood friends was not to look at the numbering and think you had passed our house because someone thought 38 came after 40.

Our neighborhood is still new enough that it hasn't been mapped yet. The overhead pics are there, but according to the streetview my neighborhood is still an open grassland.

the other day I was searchig for my grandparents houses and it was cool to be able to see them again..

even if the assholes that bought my grandfathers atlanta house cut down the magnolia tree I used to climb in, and then grandma would leave home made chocolate chip cookies at the base of the tree ...

Bring up the street view of your property
Look to the bottom right hand corner of the screen you should see an Icon Labeled: “report a problem.”
Click on “report a problem.”
You will get a page labeled “report inappropriate street view.”
Look for the words “Privacy Concerns” and click on them.
If you want your house blurred, click on “my house.” Then choose the option: “I have a picture of my house and would like it blurred.”
Adjust the image and show Google which part of the photo needs blurred.
Type the verification code at the bottom of the page into the box provided and click submit.
Check back in a few days to see if the image has been blurred.

Yes, I think it's better to "hide in plain sight". ;)

Back