How to carry in the reference materials?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a tote bag--the kind that your local PBS station gives you when you donate. But I only had about 5 books.

I used a tote bag--the kind that your local PBS station gives you when you donate. But I only had about 5 books.
Wow, I can't believe I will need to refer to a crateful of books. I am planning to take the PE exam in October, but haven't seriously started studying for it yet.

From what I had read on the board, I thought, the CERM, the six minute, practice problems (Lindberg) and the main NCEES ref manual should be enough.

What type of other ref books does one have to use if I was appearing for the Water depth?

Please suggest because its better to start preparin early and know the pitfalls sooner than later.

Wow, I can't believe I will need to refer to a crateful of books. I am planning to take the PE exam in October, but haven't seriously started studying for it yet. From what I had read on the board, I thought, the CERM, the six minute, practice problems (Lindberg) and the main NCEES ref manual should be enough.

What type of other ref books does one have to use if I was appearing for the Water depth?

Please suggest because its better to start preparin early and know the pitfalls sooner than later.
I don't know how many books should be brought for water but I would suggest the books you mentioned and whatever you had from hydrology. From what I saw, there were some folks with 5 or 6 books that could be carried in a backpack and there were those of us that took the structural section where it is extremely code based where to bring all of the codes that the test references, you need crates... I had one coworker who took the test at the same time as me and brought 3 books for the geotech section. Just depends on the discipline. Also, check near the beginning of the CERM and it will have a section on recommended texts that you will need for each discipline.

Keep in mind that the earlier you start studying, the more practice you can do. You can make it easier on yourself by doing shorter study days for a longer period of time if you start early (as long as you think you can retain it). Congrats for starting to think about it this early though. Thats a good start.

Wow, I can't believe I will need to refer to a crateful of books. I am planning to take the PE exam in October, but haven't seriously started studying for it yet. From what I had read on the board, I thought, the CERM, the six minute, practice problems (Lindberg) and the main NCEES ref manual should be enough.

I based the books I took to the exam on what I used to study. CERM is a great resource, but as an example, I didn't think it covered geotech very well and it made more sense to me to use one of my old textbooks. Same thing for activated sludge, I thought Metcalf and Eddy was a better reference. While I was studying I made a list of the books I used to work problems, and brought those with me. I probably brought 15 books in and used 5 of them, but what does it hurt? I figured just in case.

I used the blade on my D9 Cat. It is amazing how quick you can cut through the entrance line when you show up with such a carrying device. Sure, it was kinda tough getting through the doors, but luckily the walls weren't load bearing. The hole did help the exhaust dissapate quicker, which is good; I always try to be cosiderate of others who may not like the smoke.

Oh, and the blade can also be used as an impromptu picmic table for lunch (which is to say sanwiches) for you and other testtakers.

I used the blade on my D9 Cat. It is amazing how quick you can cut through the entrance line when you show up with such a carrying device. Sure, it was kinda tough getting through the doors, but luckily the walls weren't load bearing. The hole did help the exhaust dissapate quicker, which is good; I always try to be cosiderate of others who may not like the smoke.
Oh, and the blade can also be used as an impromptu picmic table for lunch (which is to say sanwiches) for you and other testtakers.
Did you consider leaving the blade out in the sun, thus creating a hot flattop grill to grill up some of them sammiches?

Did you consider leaving the blade out in the sun, thus creating a hot flattop grill to grill up some of them sammiches?
that's a great idea. I bet that Sham-wow guy could sell a zillion Panini-dozers!

I filled out a fraudulent Medicare application and was able to get a Rascal paid for by Uncle Sam. I put my books in the basket and I didn't even have to get my ass out of my seat the entire 9 hours.
Don''t forget your free cell phone!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, Captain, in your opinion, what is the best lunch for test day? Sandwiches? And if so, what kind? I brought some leftover pasta, which I left in the car to heat up during the morning portion.

I had the cornbeef and swiss on rye. Washed it doown with a diet Code Red instead of a CAB.

Why buy anything? Just use a suitcase with wheels - no lifting and can carry lot of books!
That's what I did, worked great.

I used a full size pullman (not the carry-on size)

In retrospect, a carry on pullman is really enough. More than that, and you don't have time to get to it.

Don't you think it varies on who will carry more books based on the dicipline?

I am a Mech Engr, and from what I saw, it looked like the Civil Engrs took the most books and hauled more in the crates. I took a small/medium suitcase and put the essential books on the table and referred to the other books as needed.

I saw one civil with stacks of crates on the table as if it was a bookcase on the table......I was like wow....it is amazing to see how people carry their books into the exam room....there are some creativity involved....

I plan on bringing my smaller sized suitcase. I think in it's smallest form it can be used as a carryon, but you can unzip the side to make it deeper. I'll be putting the books in with the spine side out. This way I can lay the suitcase on the floor next to me and see all the spines. My coworker who took the PE last October said a lot of people did this. This should work out good because my suitcase it pretty rain resistant and tough. Although I may have to go buy some pull ties for the zipper pulls because last time I flew through New Orleans International (MSY) they all managed to disappear.

I plan on bringing my smaller sized suitcase. I think in it's smallest form it can be used as a carryon, but you can unzip the side to make it deeper. I'll be putting the books in with the spine side out. This way I can lay the suitcase on the floor next to me and see all the spines. My coworker who took the PE last October said a lot of people did this. This should work out good because my suitcase it pretty rain resistant and tough. Although I may have to go buy some pull ties for the zipper pulls because last time I flew through New Orleans International (MSY) they all managed to disappear.
How about using a really big purse? :bananapowerslide:

Mike (killing multiple birds with one stone since 2006)

I STILL like the contraption I made.....I tied two milk crates to a rolling luggage cart, and kept the third one free, I sat that one on the table in front of me, and the other became another small table to sit books beside me. It was easy to move around, all my books were easily accesible, and it gave me more room.

What's the best method? A roll cart...? Any tips?
I was going to have my butler carry them in, but it was his day off.

Actually, I only took 6 books and never even opened the EERM. Still, I used one of my town's recycling crates, but wish I had used something on wheels. Had to stand in line while admission cards and calculators were checked before we could enter the exam room. Plus I was **** tired at the end of the day and almost didn't have the energy to lug the !$#@!^! thing back to the car.

I STILL like the contraption I made.....I tied two milk crates to a rolling luggage cart, and kept the third one free, I sat that one on the table in front of me, and the other became another small table to sit books beside me. It was easy to move around, all my books were easily accesible, and it gave me more room.
Looks like my set up, I am using the longer milk crates and a 4 wheel cart, gives me an extra 4" off of the floor, then I bungee the crates to it. By the way, nice car, did you re do it yourself? Working on a 69 Plymouth myself.

Back