How Much Thermo and Fluids Needed For Exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janizzle

Reaction score
I'm shopping for a review course and I got a look at the syllabus from University of Delaware. I was surprised to see several sections on fluid statics, dynamics, and thermodynamics, and open channel flow. Looking at the ENVRM, there are sections on these topics as well.

How often have these topics actually come up in the exam? Are they necessary to focus on in my studies? I was considering signing up for the review course but I don't want to pay for unnecessary info. Thanks for the help!

You need to know how to solve problems in fluid statics , dynamics and open channel flow. Thermodynamics- not so much but maybe a few concepts. By Dynamics I mean Fluid equipment- Pumps, motors, power, etc. If you look at the NCEES Sample exams which you can purchase on their website you will get a good idea on the type of open channel flow qsns..

There may also be one or more questions that require thermodynamics. I believe the NCEES practice exam (older edition?) featured a thermo-related question, one which I think has been discussed in this forum in terms of some strangeness in its solution.

Oh okay, thanks! Open channel hydraulics was definitely my worst class in grad school, yikes! Are the ENVRM and NCEES problems good enough resources to prepare, or is a separate text needed to go in more depth?

Yes, Dleg is correct. They did feature a thermodynamics problem . If you know basics of heat and material balance you are in good shape. For the enviro exam its all about the basic concepts- Stoichiometry/Mass Balance/Molar Balance and applying these in different areas (Air,Water, etc)

Back