How much have you spent total for the PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First Three Attempts (*work paid)

Exam fees: 65+30+30 = *125

Test fees: 250x3 = *750

Books: *600

Hotel + Food: 250x3 = *750

Gas: 75x5 = *375

Total (First three) = *2600

Fourth Attempt <<PASS>> (I paid)

Exam fee: 30

Test fee: 250

Hotel + Food: 250

Gas: 90

Total (fourth) = 620

Sum Totals = 3220 (2600 of which was company sponsored) It's worth every penny.

Oh yeah, do I count the car I bought in August to drive back and forth to Houston for the Testmaster classes (and to the exam in Ft Worth)? I didn't want to drive my Suburban or the Camaro... :) 2004 Cadillac CTS (V6) with a manual transmission. Not many of those made, but it's comfy and fun to drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent about $2000 to prepare for the PE test. That includes:

Refresher course

Books and sample problems

Application fee through state board

NCEES test registration fee

Dinners out (so I could study at the library after work)

I took it twice and had to stay at a hotel since the exam site was 3.5 hours away. With books, exam fee (2nd time only..company paid for 1st attempt), hotel and gas, I calculated over $1,100. And that's without taking a refresher course. If I would have failed the 2nd time, I was planning to pay around $1,000 for a review course. I'll be getting a $3,000 bonus (closer to $2,000 after taxes) so I still come out ahead. The worst part was losing the time (spending nearly a year of my life studying). No regrets though.

State application: $75

NCEES registration: $265

Goswami All-In-One guide: $76

NCEES Practice exam: $50

HP 35s (bought 2 years prior in anticipation of needing for exam): $50

Casio FX-115ES Calculator: $18

Portland Cement Association Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures (13th ed): $4.20 on eBay (worth every penny, good for at least two questions!)

Total: $538 (wow, more than I realized, but looking through this thread I sure can't complain)

Priceless:

2.5 days vacation days from work for extra studying and taking exam

Wear and tear on the wife and kids from my stress and being unavailable a lot of time last 6 weeks or so before exam

Passing Civil/WR first attempt

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember exactly, but I paid two fees to NCEES, one to the state, plus all the books; I reckon it was around $1300 when it was all said and done with. I am not including the number of hours I put in towards it.

Not a drop in the bucket, but I did get a $1500 accomplishment bonus from work; so it was all eventually covered.

Back