How many tries before passing?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EIT (Oct 2013) - 1st

PE Mechanical MD (April 2014) - 1st

Studied my tail off because I didn't want to take it again --> Currently have a 1.5 year old son and 1 week old daughter at home!!

Testmasters for both tests.

• Mechanical - Thermal Fluids, October 2009, passed 1st try.

Electrical - Power, April 2011, passed 1st try.
Civil - Construction 8 hour, October 2013, passed 1st try.
Civil - CA Seismic principles, April 2014, awaiting results of 1st attempt
Civil - CA Surveying principles, April 2014, awaiting results of 1st attempt

to palvarez83 or any other engineer licensed in multiple disciplines:

do you need a bachelors degree in each discipline in order to sit for the PE exam? i have a B.S. in mechanical engineering but my job requires me to perform quite a bit of structural analysis. i'm looking to pursue a career in structural engineering in the future, wondering if that requires a B.S. in civil engineering or if i can short-circuit it and attempt to pass the PE exam for Civil: Structural.

• Electrical - Power, April 2011, passed 1st try.
  • Civil - Construction 8 hour, October 2013, passed 1st try.
  • Civil - CA Seismic principles, April 2014, awaiting results of 1st attempt
  • Civil - CA Surveying principles, April 2014, awaiting results of 1st attempt
to palvarez83 or any other engineer licensed in multiple disciplines:

do you need a bachelors degree in each discipline in order to sit for the PE exam? i have a B.S. in mechanical engineering but my job requires me to perform quite a bit of structural analysis. i'm looking to pursue a career in structural engineering in the future, wondering if that requires a B.S. in civil engineering or if i can short-circuit it and attempt to pass the PE exam for Civil: Structural.
As always check with your state board to be sure, however, most states do not require you to have a degree in the field that matches your PE. Some states don't require a degree at all.

Speaking for my state of California: They don't require a degree at all. They require an EIT or waiver (if eligible ) and an equivalent 6 years expierience. They award you 4 years experience for an ABET degree in engineering (regardless of the field and PE you are applying for). That would leave you with 2 years minimum of work experience required (to be validated with 4 pe references). Now the references they do care about. In CA if you were applying for civil you would have to have 4 civil pe references.

For multiple PEs they allow you to double count education (I have a mechanical BS), but not experience. I had to submit 2 years of experice for each. They accepted my Civil application with a mechanical degree.

Conclusion: I don't think you need to bother with a civil degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i'm reading over my state's board requirements at the moment. i really appreciate the feedback palvarez83.

yeah i'm reading over my state's board requirements at the moment. i really appreciate the feedback palvarez83.
I just saw you have WA listed as your location. Some time ago there was a gal on this board with a Civil PE from Washington. She took the structural depth and didn't have an engineering degree at all....

Civil - Transportation 8 hour, October 2013, passed 1st try.

Civil - CA Surveying principles, October 2013, passed 1st try

Civil - CA Seismic principles, April 2014, passed 2nd try

• Electrical - Power, April 2011, passed 1st try.
  • Civil - Construction 8 hour, October 2013, passed 1st try.
  • Civil - CA Seismic principles, April 2014, awaiting results of 1st attempt
  • Civil - CA Surveying principles, April 2014, awaiting results of 1st attempt
You must really love taking exams :) ..mad respect!

I have been taking EIT and PE since the creation of NCEES!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw you have WA listed as your location. Some time ago there was a gal on this board with a Civil PE from Washington. She took the structural depth and didn't have an engineering degree at all....

i spoke with my state board last friday and you're right, i'm eligible to sit for the Civil PE exam. thanks for the input palvarez83.

i spoke with my state board last friday and you're right, i'm eligible to sit for the Civil PE exam. thanks for the input palvarez83.
Congrats. Now it's time to put in some long study hours to get it done. Best of luck.

Back