how long were you out of school when you took the FE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art

Reaction score
I was out >20 years, studied the ASCE CD and FE manual for ~100 hrs and passed first attempt...

I heard horror stories about being out of school too long, the math, etc., but honestly I didn't think it was too bad...

curious to hear from some of the 'old dogs', lol

I took the EIT last semester of college, but took 19 years after I got my bachelors to take the PE.

It was a prerequisite for graduation to take the exam. So I took it first semester of senior year and passed it then. That was without having taken either circuits or thermo at the time.

Yah, i took it my jr year. I figured that way i'd have additional time to take it again if i didn't pass my first try.

I started college in 82, left in 85, went back in 95, graduated in 97. Took my first FE in April 2009 and passed. If I could do it all over again, I would have taken that student loan to pay for the last year of school and graduated in 86 with all my buddies and taken the EIT back then when it was all fresh.

I took the FE for teh 1st time more than 22 years after my (foreign) Bachelor's degree. I passed it.

I studied with the Lindenburg book, FE (Electrical) review book from NCEES, and a FE Electrical review book I bought from Kaplan website.

I went through the practie exam questions in the lindenburg book. When I found a difficult question, I wold go to the respective chapter in the book to see how to tackle it. I found that trying to read the lindenburg book chapter by chapter was very frustrating. Ditto with the FE Electrical review book from Kaplan.

I think I barely passed the morning exam.

I did much better in the discipline specific (Electrical) afternnon exam.

Same here it was a requirement for me to take it to graduate, so I crammed and without taking circuits or thermo I passed.

I took the FE about 6 years after my BSE, and the PE the following year. So most subjects were still fairly fresh in my mind.

Back