How far away are we from a national licensure that each state recognizes without comity?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audi Driver P.E.

Reaction score
For the Mechanical, exam in particular, there aren't state specific regulations that control things like heat transfer or strength of materials (that I'm aware of).  So, at least for some disciplines it seems within the realm of possibility.  The test is already nationalized...

Seems to me that even with a national test, some states still like to exercise some level of control over the process. Could be a good thing or it could be they need to justify their paycheck. Who knows.

Some might pose it as as a state's right issue.  And I would agree with them on that, to an extent, but I view it similar as a driver's license.  It facilitates interstate commerce, yes?

I don't think the folks in charge would gain anything from this. NCEES gets to charge an arm and a leg for their 'record' which is a complete pain in the ass to fill out. I lost interest after a while. I don't want to submit yet another set of transcripts and all of that, I'm already a PE (plus I live and work in the best state), that should be good enough. 

Too much political bureaucracy at the state level. People would lose jobs, and politicians cant have that. I vote never happening.

I don't think the folks in charge would gain anything from this. NCEES gets to charge an arm and a leg for their 'record' which is a complete pain in the ass to fill out. I lost interest after a while. I don't want to submit yet another set of transcripts and all of that, I'm already a PE (plus I live and work in the best state), that should be good enough. 
I agree with the premise that it is a pain. However, for someone who does need multi state licenses, I would argue it as an invaluable resource.

Back