how difficult is the HVAC Exam oct 2016?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I nailed the HVAC portion. Exam was tougher than I thought but hardwork paid off.

I think I nailed both sections too! However I studied my tail off for many months!

Last edited by a moderator:
@GregoryPEWhere did you take you exam? I took in CA and I don't know anyone taking HVAC exam in my room in Sacramento. There were lot of candidates who choose TF.

we aren't allowed to discuss specific questions. I'd rather just wait and find out my results than risk letting NCEES somehow invalidate my scores! Not worth it!

Last edited by a moderator:
We have not discussed exam material. Talking about the exam in terms of how hard or easy it was is okay. 

All the best and I am sure you will pass.

NYC had about 800 test takers in one gigantic gymnasium. It had to be 85 degrees in that room. The desks they gave us were all wobbly too. Optimal testing conditions!

@Ramnares P.E. Exam was hard, it is just my feeling that I did better since I was able to find answers for more than 90% of the questions. Some qualitative questions were very straight forward too or at least appeared to be straight forward to me ( who knows some times these are simple traps to fall into).

Seems like there are not many who took HVAC or have not read these posts so it is hard to say that the exam was easy based on just my and George's input.

how do NCEES score the tests? I know it is a secret but do they take into account score for all three mechanical depths or are there different cut score for different depths?

Just a joke. I'm already a PE and am a thermal fluids guy.  

To answer your question, different cut score for different mechanical depths as each exam is independent of the other.

@Ramnares P.E. Exam was hard, it is just my feeling that I did better since I was able to find answers for more than 90% of the questions. Some qualitative questions were very straight forward too or at least appeared to be straight forward to me ( who knows some times these are simple traps to fall into).

Seems like there are not many who took HVAC or have not read these posts so it is hard to say that the exam was easy based on just my and George's input.

how do NCEES score the tests? I know it is a secret but do they take into account score for all three mechanical depths or are there different cut score for different depths?
I took the HVAC too , I really nailed the afternoon session and it was really easy , I cant say the same about the morning one , but in General I did really good and as Habib said the hardwork paid off,

But I am still so worried about the result because nobody knows what will happen

Bit late to the party, but I'd say that it was definitely more difficult that I was anticipating, and I didn't feel as though the 6-minute solutions and NCEES practice exam did a very good job of prepping me (nor did the 80 or so hours of MERM reading). There was also one person in my group taking it for the second time that said that this one was more difficult that last April, for whatever that is worth.  All in all, I felt pretty confident in around 60-65% of my answers, so I'm guessing I'll be taking it again in April unfortunately.

Back