How did the Bionic Man get power for his bionic limbs?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Techie_Junkie_PE_LEED_AP

PE, LEED AP, Ponderer of the abstract
Reaction score
WE CAN BUILD HIM STRONGER, FASTER ......

Creating Electricity by Walking

A recent article in the New York Times reported that researchers have developed an electrical generator mounted on a person's knee that turns "walks into watts." The lead researcher compared the device to the regenerative braking used to produce electricity for hybrid cars.

The article goes on to say that one device on each leg can produce about 5W, which would be enough to run 10 cellphones or, potentially, medical devices like insulin pumps or prosthetic limbs. The power generated could be stored in a battery.

Finally, the article states that the device works by engaging its gears while the knee slows the swinging of the leg.

Taken from an article in the Power Quality Newsbeat from EC&M Magazine

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard about that and it's pretty cool.

But I bet the Bionic man had some sort of micro-nuclear power source implanted in him, somewhere near his groin.

:vadar:

Well, this is sort of a well kept secret, but I guess 30 plus years on, the story can be told.

Fermi Labs was to develop a miniature nuclear plant to be implanted, as dleg suggested, near the groin. That's what the public was told. However, because of a personnel shortage cause by Project Jennifer, the lab could not design and build the prototype in time. Under emergency conditions, a hamster wheel was constructed and placed in the 6M dollar man's rectum. Hamsters were occasionally put in to generate power.

Oddly enough, a reporter came across the 6M dollar man, um, refuling the wheel, and confused him with Richard Gere. That's how THOSE rumors got started.

Makes sense now, doen't it?

Capt, you have taken a perfectly interesting technical thread and turned it into TRASH!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAUUUUURRRRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!!

Back