Home Laser Printers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the shopping comparison between lasers and ink jet.  Basically, on a cost per page basis, the cost of ink jet is lower.  Now, you do have to stay away from Epson branded ink (supposing you chose an Epson) for this to work.

I'm going through $40 in ink in less than 100 pages.  There's no way I can come out ahead with numbers like that (and that's with Canon).  I think as infrequently as we print, the propensity for clogged nozzles and wasted ink during print head cleaning may reverse that situation for me.

Resurrecting this one, since I'm officially done with this POS inkjet.  I swear I JUST replaced the f'ing cartridge, and it goes empty/f*cked after sitting more than about 2 weeks.  It's also having print errors out of nowhere and the carrier is going haywire.

So, 4 1/2 years later, are there any color laser printers that you guys like?  Current criteria are color laser, wireless connectivity, copy/scan function, < $300.  11x17 is nice but not a requirement.
I'm going through $40 in ink in less than 100 pages.  There's no way I can come out ahead with numbers like that (and that's with Canon).  I think as infrequently as we print, the propensity for clogged nozzles and wasted ink during print head cleaning may reverse that situation for me.
Not sure what model Canon you have but they are certainly NOT all created equal. I have a Canon multi-function MX850 and it's probably one of the best printers I've ever owned. I only buy Canon genuine replacement cartridges online for pretty cheap. They tend to last 6-8 months (was less when we were both in grad school). As for laser, Canon also puts out some very good laser products.

If we need a color print of pic or something we just run to walmart and do the 1hr.
LOL, and the fuel plus personal time it takes you do this makes it basically a wash. So there's little cost offset. ;)

We print lots of photos so there's no way B&W would ever cut it.

Talk to @csb if looking for printer recommendations. I believe she finally settled on one after about 8 months of looking. :p

LOL, and the fuel plus personal time it takes you do this makes it basically a wash. So there's little cost offset. ;)
not if the trip coincides with a grocery shopping.  Already there.  or submit online and pick up the next time we are there.  minisnick isn't old enough for the this is due tomorrow and I forgot...but if that were the case we would likely  be going there anyways for the project supplies.

Yep, then add the fee of having them printed plus tax. Still a wash.
I don't know about that.  There are lots of places that offer free 4x6 prints and are delivered right to your door.  Granted it takes a couple of weeks, but it's free!  That said, I love being able to print photos or color prints on demand.  I've had my MX892 for 5 years or so now and have only had to buy 3 sets of ink during that time.

1oci3c.jpg

Back