History of PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
an old timer here at my firm said his exam wasnt even multiple choice! can you imagine that?
Extractly.

When I was a senior student, before I take FE exam, some professors in our university provide us some sample questions, and teach us during the Saturday morning. The questions contain many gap fillings, which are especially in the thermal dynamics.

Actually in the old "essay" format with just a few problems and you had to show all your work, you were a lot more likely to get partial credit and did not have to get the exact answer like you do in a multiple choice test.
So sounds like problem solving questions.

What kind of essay?

Based on some materials like case study?
No.   Like a traditional test in college...a problem with a blank page below it for you to solve.    

Surprisingly I had my results for that exam quicker than I did for the PE taken last year!  

No.   Like a traditional test in college...a problem with a blank page below it for you to solve.    

Surprisingly I had my results for that exam quicker than I did for the PE taken last year!  
I think that make sense, as FE exam should be easier than the PE exam, is that correct?

I think that make sense, as FE exam should be easier than the PE exam, is that correct?
I thought the FE was much easier but there was a 16 year gap between taking the two exams...not to mention that I took the FE less than one year after finishing my BS degree.   I do remember that the PE was 100% essay in 2000 though.   Also, they let you take the FE and PE at the same time back then if you met the other requirements (at least in PA).   A talked with a few people on the day of the exam who took the PE on Friday and were taking the FE with me on Saturday.  

I thought the FE was much easier but there was a 16 year gap between taking the two exams...not to mention that I took the FE less than one year after finishing my BS degree.   I do remember that the PE was 100% essay in 2000 though.   Also, they let you take the FE and PE at the same time back then if you met the other requirements (at least in PA).   A talked with a few people on the day of the exam who took the PE on Friday and were taking the FE with me on Saturday.  
I also took the FE exam when I was a Senior student.

Now I think passing the FE exam is one prerequisite for taking the PE exam, so we cannot take PE exam before we pass the FE exam.

I graduated in 97- took the EIT then. It was the first time they offered a discipline specific PM section.

I didn't take the PE till 2004? but I don't recall anyone my age saying the PE cam was essay format. I think that does back in the 80's...

I graduated in 97- took the EIT then. It was the first time they offered a discipline specific PM section.

I didn't take the PE till 2004? but I don't recall anyone my age saying the PE cam was essay format. I think that does back in the 80's...
I took the PE in 2004 also and it was all multiple choice.  The essay format was back in the 80's.

On 3/13/2017 at 3:15 PM, ptatohed said:
Wow, I just missed it.  I took mine in Oct 2001.  Mine was all MC. 

I got to bring my own pencil and my own calculator (TI-89) which I think was the last administration before they started handing out pencils and required only NCEES-approved calculators.

Same here.  I don't even think I knew it was an essay format the year before.  

Also, they let you take the FE and PE at the same time back then if you met the other requirements (at least in PA).   A talked with a few people on the day of the exam who took the PE on Friday and were taking the FE with me on Saturday.  
Are you sure they were seeking liscensure in Pennsylvania, or just taking the test in Pennsylvania? I know in 2004 that PA required EIT + 4 years to sit for the PE exam. And the rules in those years were pretty old (circa 80s) so I doubt they were different in 2000.

If I had to take one again, give me the PE. 
Agreed.

The FE was much easier but included everything found in an undergrad engineering curriculum. I took my last semester of undergrad when everything was fresh. I probably haven't touched 30+% of that content since the exam and I'd have to relearn a lot of pass the test today.

The PE is much harder, but more focused on things I encounter more often. I'd only have to refresh myself on a couple topics to try to pass again.

Back