Hey Dleg

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
Did your people kill amelia earhart?

from wikipedia?

Saipan claims
In 1966, CBS Correspondent Fred Goerner published a book claiming Earhart and Noonan were captured and executed when their aircraft crashed on the island of Saipan, part of the Mariana Islands archipelago, while it was under Japanese occupation.[162][163][N 29][164][N 30] In 2009, an Earhart relative stated that the pair died in Japanese custody, citing unnamed witnesses including Japanese troops and Saipan natives.[165] He said that the Japanese cut the valuable Lockheed aircraft into scrap and threw the pieces into the ocean.[165]

Thomas E. Devine (who served in a postal Army unit) wrote Eyewitness: The Amelia Earhart Incident which includes a letter from the daughter of a Japanese police official who claimed her father was responsible for Earhart's execution.

Former U.S. Marine Robert Wallack claimed he and other Marines opened a safe on Saipan and found Earhart's briefcase. Former U.S. Marine Earskin J. Nabers claimed that while serving as a wireless operator on Saipan in 1944, he decoded a message from naval officials which said Earhart's aircraft had been found at the airfield in the village of As Lito, that he was later ordered to guard the aircraft, and then witnessed its destruction.[166] In 1990, the NBC-TV series Unsolved Mysteries broadcast an interview with a Saipanese woman who claimed to have witnessed Earhart and Noonan's execution by Japanese soldiers. No independent confirmation or support has ever emerged for any of these claims.[167] Purported photographs of Earhart during her captivity have been identified as either fraudulent or having been taken before her final flight.[168]

Since the end of World War II, a location on Tinian, which is five miles (eight km) southwest of Saipan, had been rumoured to be the grave of the two aviators. In 2004, a scientifically supported archaeological dig at the site failed to turn up any bones.[169]

The Denver traffic girl?

20120105__20120108_E1_ae08tvamelia~p1.jpg

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_19683824

(She has since done an ancestry search, and she is not related)

That's apparently a big controversy. There are two groups supporting different theories. One is that described above, that Earhart and Noonan were taken here (I have not heard that they flew here or crashed here) with their captured airplane, held in a jail, and later executed by the Japanese. The other is that they crashed somewhere near where they actually were, and either perished at sea or made it to Howland (?) atoll and perished there. These two groups hate each other - they got into it in the local newspapers with dueling letters to the editor for a while (they are not from here - but from the mainland). I can't remember which is which, but one group is named "TIGHAR".

This past spring, one of these groups was here on Saipan for an extended period, filming a documentary and performing some archeological digs. I don't know enough (or care) to form an opinion, but when these guys started going around with a dowsing rod and consulting with psychics on the east coast to tell them where to dig, well, let's just say I am not a believer. I seriously doubt they were ever here - I have seen some very convincing arguments that rule out all the so-called eyewitness reports from US servicemen after the war (all of which only were reported decades later, of course).

It's kind of fun to live in a place with some history, though, especially history that is still in living memory (even if senile living memory). All this aside, for example, I was on a trail run last week, and it took us past a knocked-out Japanese tank in the deep jungle, which sits right where it it was hit, judging by the size of the hole, by an American M-4 Sherman tank. That's cool stuff. We don't need Amelia Earhart to make our history interesting.

I'm a big conspiracies and mysteries guy, and have read many books on the Earhart mystery.

My take: Neither one was a great navigator, not that familiar with the state of the art (for the day) nav stuff involved. They missed the island, ran out of gas, and crashed at sea.

^LOL. No! They were bitching in the newspapers here every few days about how they were still waiting for permits to start their digs....

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw something on the news about a group going back to an island to search for emilia clues. then I started reading a bunch of stuff online and found it prettyu interesting, it really "ate up" my entire lunch hour!

All ridicule aside, these guys interviewed an old island woman here who claimed that an sickly American woman gave her a leather flight jacket and a ring, while wandering around in the vicinity of the Japanese Jail. She said she lost both of these things, but thought she knew where she lost the ring. These guys searched around the property with a metal detector, and found a ring.... but of course with absolutely no identifying information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on a trail run last week, and it took us past a knocked-out Japanese tank in the deep jungle, which sits right where it it was hit, judging by the size of the hole, by an American M-4 Sherman tank. That's cool stuff.
that's some cool stuff alright! are there tours to see that stuff?

Nope!

There are tanks and artillery pieces collected at some of the tourist sites (lots of shrines to the dead Japanese - all ~40,000 of them). But to see the authentic stuff, you have to go out and find it yourself. Which I prefer.

I was on a trail run last week, and it took us past a knocked-out Japanese tank in the deep jungle, which sits right where it it was hit, judging by the size of the hole, by an American M-4 Sherman tank. That's cool stuff.
that's some cool stuff alright! are there tours to see that stuff?
+1

Back