Helping Wildlife

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ventilator

Reaction score
So I'm sure we've all seen someone stop and carry a turtle across the road and I bet some people on here have done it. Well this morning I witnessed a whole new approach. A guy was stopped in the opposite lane (2 lane road) and I saw the turtle so I stopped so he could get it and take it off the road. The next part is where it got strange, instead of picking it up and carrying it he kicked it. I don't mean he gave it a shove to slide it off the road, he put his foot under it and lifted/kicked it. So I suddenly saw a turtle flying through the air like a sideways Frisbee and land on the side of the road after about a 5-8 foot flight. Then he runs over and does it again and both he and the turtle are off the road at this point so I drive past thinking it was over. As I look into the mirror I see him still kicking the turtle through the air. There is a pond about 30ft off of that road so I'm guessing he thought he was helping it get to the pond but if the turtle survived the "helping" over the road getting kicked into a pond unconscious probably made him wish it was a car that helped instead of this nut job.

Some people have no shame or conscience. As with all instances like this, I believe the act should be reciprocated to the aggressor.

FWIW, you can get some nasty diseases from turtle bites/scratches. I used to pick them up, but the local animal humanitarian says if you can't pick them up by the tail, and they're completely inside the shell, kicking them is the best bet. But by kicking, she meant butting your shoe against them and giving a boost, not wholesale kicking mob beatdown style.

An elk got "helped" across the highway this morning. By the looks of it, there were at least a dozen different vehicles that participated. And this stretch of highway has a 75mph speed limit...

Back