Help with problem 511

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave389

Reaction score
I've posted the problem and the solution along with a sheet of equations. How do you solve for "n" given

<text deleted>

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've posted the problem and the solution along with a sheet of equations. How do you solve for "n" given
Don't solve for n... just plug in each of the available multiple choice answers until one of them works in the equation.

Don't solve for n... just plug in each of the available multiple choice answers until one of them works in the equation.

Wouldn't it be quicker to solve for n?
The fact that you're asking means no, right? In general, I think this is an important lesson: you're not trying to "solve" the problem but rather "choose" the right answer. Don't make it harder than it needs to be!

If you want to solve the problem, you'll need to use logs to get the variable out of the exponent. I see an easy way to simplify the equation to <text removed> because you're only looking for positive n, but off the top of my head, I don't remember how to distribute logs. In general, remember that log (x^y) = y log x

But now you've got me curious so maybe it's time to pull out some textbooks!

Probably the best advice I have seen on this forum. It seems like people often times get caught up in "solving the problem" rather than just obtaining the correct answer by process of elimination. Doesn't matter how you get to the right answer on the test (aside from cheating of course), it just matters that you get the right answer.

I tend to agree with "IlPadrino" and the suggestion of just plugging in the 4 multiple choice options and seeing which one gives the correct answer. Once the equation is set-up like you have done, you can plug in 4 options real quick and ends up being a fast way to get thru the problem.

Solving for n is a fine way to do it too, I've just found plugging in the 4 options is quickest for me.

I tend to agree with "IlPadrino" and the suggestion of just plugging in the 4 multiple choice options and seeing which one gives the correct answer. Once the equation is set-up like you have done, you can plug in 4 options real quick and ends up being a fast way to get thru the problem.

Solving for n is a fine way to do it too, I've just found plugging in the 4 options is quickest for me.

OK. Thanks everyone.

I made some edits, NCEES asked that we not copy thier materials directly. :)

Back