Help: RULE FOR PENCIL MARKS ON PE REFERENCES (for NJ)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sssun

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone please tell me if the reference material used during the PE exam in State of New Jersey is allowed to have pencil marks in them?

I am planning to take the Oct exam at NJIT, and I have pencile marks all over my refereence materials. Doese the proctor ever check for pencil marks? Thanks.

You can't add pencil marks once the test starts basically. If they see you writing in the book you get kicked out. I think they will typically look the other way if you are using a monograph or chart and its just a tick to mark your place but writing words is a fast way for a quick exit.

As has been discussed elsewhere, pencil marks are not explicitly disallowed, however, you'd have a hard time proving that you didn't write in your book during the test.

Thank you everyone. I know every state is little bit different on the rule, can someone who had PE exam in NJ also give a word or two? Much appertained since I am going to take it in NJ - I would hate to have to remark my notes in pen the last minute.

From all the stories I have heard about proctors, I am pretty convinced that a lot of them used to go to work wearing black trenchcoats in the former soviet union before perestroika resulted in them losing their jobs. If they have been given carte blanche to interpret pencil marks as 'written during the exam with the sole intent of transporting across state lines' then I would not chance it

Oh, this is a test security thing. I got it, I was not following the question. I am assuming pen and highlighter will not be a problem though?

Back