Help on upcoming car purchase

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like dark colors on cars because they are hard to keep clean/looking good. Grey is the exception. I'm ok with the grey, it's actually the only other color that is available that I like.

As far as how much is considered reasonable, it depends. If it's something I plan on keeping for a while and that I expect to be durable, then I don't mind dropping $40k. But if it's just a beater simply just to get to/from somewhere, then I won't spend as much.

That is true. Our Touareg is grey and I asked my wife yesterday if she had washed it since it looked clean. Nope, that's just what it looks like. My black bimmer on the other hand looks like crap.

I will never purchase a black car. Unless it's $5.

The black stripes on Bee is the most black paint I've had on a car since I was in highschool.

I love a clean, black car though. It's just so difficult to keep up with.

9591981153_08ab7991dc_c.jpg

7062574687_1342240f30.jpg

This makes me curious- what price do you guys consider reasonable for a car?

That depends on a few factors but since we have been car shopping for almost a year, I'll speak up. It depends on how long you expect it to last and what you intend to use it for. Right now we have two paid off vehicles that we don't plan on trading in because although they are getting older, they are still holding up. We do know that they won't last forever and want to get something before one of them dies.

We have a 2010 Mazda 6 that was purchased in 2009 that we paid $21,000 for brand spanking new.

We have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee that was purchased in 2011 that we paid $10,000 for with 100,000 miles on it.

We have considered several options but we hope to get a fuel efficient beater car for about $4000 to last a few years and then a larger towing capable vehicle and have looked at several ranging in price from $17,000 to $40,000 (we would trade in the mazda for this if needed). the Cherokee now has 200,000 miles on it and will never die, so it was well worth the money spent on it and we intend to keep it for quite a while.

We don't look at cars as a status symbol or for fun. Each car we have ever purchased has had a purpose and when we looked at buying we had goals such as how long the car needed to last, how much cash we had to put down on it and how long we really wanted to pay on it for.

We don't look at cars as a status symbol or for fun. Each car we have ever purchased has had a purpose and when we looked at buying we had goals such as how long the car needed to last, how much cash we had to put down on it and how long we really wanted to pay on it for.

This. We also consider our commute, because the more time we spend in a car stuck in traffic, the more enjoyable a ride we'd want it to be.

This. We also consider our commute, because the more time we spend in a car stuck in traffic, the more enjoyable a ride we'd want it to be.
Same here, both our cars are 10 years old and paid for. Envoy was bought used, and is the kid car. My crappy Pontiac G6 was bought new, got into a wreck at 6 months from purchase and was never the same (I'll always say it should have been totaled, but they didn't agree...probably because I had gap insurance). At first I loved the look of my G6, and the panoramic sun roof. Now it's the beater daily driver...gets good gas mileage.

We keep fixing what's wrong when things break, but I know at some point one of our vehicles will break down and it will cost more to repair than it's worth. That's when we'll go car shopping. For now, I'm loving no car notes. Now if I can get the house paid off.

May 2024 is when the house is paid off.

I suppose in August I'll go drive some cars and see what I like. I have no idea on cost. I'm leaning towards used, because I hate the idea of a giant car loan.

I'm leaning towards used, because I hate the idea of a giant car loan.
+1000

I'll never buy new unless I run out of ways to spend my fatty retirement $$. Besides, < 20k miles is still considered "new" in my book. And the total cost is reduced drastically.

+1000
I'll never buy new unless I run out of ways to spend my fatty retirement $$. Besides, < 20k miles is still considered "new" in my book. And the total cost is reduced drastically.
I'm 40 and have never had a new car in my life. :( But, on the bright side.... I've never had a car payment in my life. :)

Went to the Mercedes dealership on Saturday. Mrs Dex really liked the GLA250 (not the AMG), so we started talking numbers with the sales guy. After about 20 minutes we just walked out because their offer was pure garbage. Bunch of douche bags.

+1000 I'll never buy new unless I run out of ways to spend my fatty retirement $$. Besides, < 20k miles is still considered "new" in my book. And the total cost is reduced drastically.
I'm 40 and have never had a new car in my life. :( But, on the bright side.... I've never had a car payment in my life. :)
Trying to decide between new or used for my next car or truck. My current car I bought new in 98. I tend to hold on to cars until they require major repair so I don't mind buying new.

I bought my Aveo new in 2006 for $14k. I hope to have it for at least 14 years, to keep the capital cost at about $1k per year. Five more years to go.

I bought my '97 Jeep 3 years ago for $4k, so I'm already almost to the same point on that.

I really like the styling on the new 200's. I don't think I'd get one though.

I told my wife about going to take a look at the new GTI's and she said the only condition she has on a new car is that it has to be automatic. So much for my dreams of pretending to be a race car driver on my way to work, lol.

Back