HEC RAS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picusld

Reaction score
I am at a point in my professional development that I feel like I need to know this program in order to make a leap up.

Can anyone recomend a DVD course to learn this program?

Feedback would be appreciated

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a FHWA course I did was very helpful...was a class not a DVD...was 4 days maybe

Agreed, there are a lot of things you won't be able to pick up from a DVD. I went to an ASCE class, IIRC.

Alternatively, you can download the program from the HEC along with the examples.

Are you familiar with hydraulic modeling in any form?

Agreed, there are a lot of things you won't be able to pick up from a DVD. I went to an ASCE class, IIRC.
Alternatively, you can download the program from the HEC along with the examples.

Are you familiar with hydraulic modeling in any form?
I agree that an in person class is probably the best way to learn but funds are tight now for the company and myself. I downloaded the manual and started working the problems, but believe that there has got to be a better way.

My SW modeling experience is limitted to basin, swale, stormwater Piping, etc using VTPUSHM, Hydroflow Hydrographs, Hydroflow StormSewer, and StormCad. I know all of these pretty programs pretty well and am pretty proficient.

I think that I am going to be forced to go it alone though using that 700 or so page user manual. UGHHH

I think that I am going to be forced to go it alone though using that 700 or so page user manual. UGHHH
That is going to be rough.

Is there another consultant in town who would 'tutor' you for a half day for a reasonable fee?

That is going to be rough.

Is there another consultant in town who would 'tutor' you for a half day for a reasonable fee?
I could probably dig one up...

I was hoping not to have to go that route though, hence the dvd.

That's too bad.

I haven't tried any of the DVDs so I personally can't attest to their helpfulness.

This one looks okay. For that price, you could kind of get started with it, then perhaps later in the year you could find the funds for a class.

It isn't rocket surgery, but you do need to know when the program is giving you a bad (or impossible) answer. That's the part which concerns me about learning it from DVD.

That's too bad.
I haven't tried any of the DVDs so I personally can't attest to their helpfulness.

This one looks okay. For that price, you could kind of get started with it, then perhaps later in the year you could find the funds for a class.

It isn't rocket surgery, but you do need to know when the program is giving you a bad (or impossible) answer. That's the part which concerns me about learning it from DVD.
Highly appreciated. Thanks.

actually found a new one on the asce site that may be a bit more up my alley. Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back