HD Radio ?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALBin517

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with HD radios?

I work about 80 miles from my favorite radio station. The signal comes in fine in my car – very little static. But I walk into my office and can’t get the station at all. I try other (regular) radios in the office and no luck.

But the station in question is an HD radio station so I wonder if investing in an HD radio would allow me to get the station here in the office. :th_rockon:

Thanks in advance for your time and information.

In my experience if you can't pick up the station on an analog frequency you won't be able to get the digital one either. The only exception to this rule is if the radio station in question is broadcast as an HD station on a different frequency. In my area there are several that do that. They know their primary frequency is very weak, so they run the HD feed on another station (owned by the same company).

Can you just go to their website and stream it online?
I have an XM account that I stream here from time to time.

No streaming here at work.
Same deal for me. The corporate overlords have deemed any website with streaming radio or video (including youtube) unfit for our consumption. :Chris:

Blah blah blah, it wastes bandwidth, blah blah blah, it hinders productivity, blah blah blah. :poop:

edit:

ALB check out the radio stations in your area. While you may not be able to get the one station you want I'm betting that some of the ones with stronger signals in your area will have some HD feeds that you may find interesting.

http://www.hdradio.com/find_an_hd_digital_radio_station.php

I don't get some of the stations I want to listen to, but having an HD radio at work does give me a lot more options

Last edited by a moderator:

Same deal for me. The corporate overlords have deemed any website with streaming radio or video (including youtube) unfit for our consumption. :Chris:

Blah blah blah, it wastes bandwidth, blah blah blah, it hinders productivity, blah blah blah. :poop:

edit:

ALB check out the radio stations in your area. While you may not be able to get the one station you want I'm betting that some of the ones with stronger signals in your area will have some HD feeds that you may find interesting.

I don't get some of the stations I want to listen to, but having an HD radio at work does give me a lot more options

Our computer guys give us the explanation that, "Well if all of us streamed radio..."

Nevermind that only half of us have internet access. Nevermind that half of those with internet are outside at any particular time. In total, I would say about 5% of us would be streaming radio at any particular time if it was allowed.

"But what if we all did?!?!?"

I also appreciate your suggestion about getting HD radio for local channels but that does not interest me much. The appeal for me is getting radio from Detroit because I have listened to those stations since I was a kid.

What I might do is try to find an HD radio at a local store and give it a try... then return it if I can't get the Detroit stations.

edit:

Our computer guys give us the explanation that, "Well if all of us streamed radio..."

Nevermind that only half of us have internet access. Nevermind that half of those with internet are outside at any particular time. In total, I would say about 5% of us would be streaming radio at any particular time if it was allowed.

"But what if we all did?!?!?"

I also appreciate your suggestion about getting HD radio for local channels but that does not interest me much. The appeal for me is getting radio from Detroit because I have listened to those stations since I was a kid.

What I might do is try to find an HD radio at a local store and give it a try... then return it if I can't get the Detroit stations.
Those IT guys crack me up. They always say no to everyone else but hook themselves up.

I'd be interested in HD radio too. I tried XM, but wasn't impressed when they kept raising the rates for the same music that the local stations overplay and I still have to listen to commercials.

I have HD radio in my car. I turned it off after about 2 hours because it kept "skipping". The analog radio stations came in fine. The HD stations would pause and stutter for about 3 seconds once every minute of so. I dont know what was causing it but the HD coolness of it was quickly overshadowed by the annoying glitch.

I have HD radio in my car. I turned it off after about 2 hours because it kept "skipping". The analog radio stations came in fine. The HD stations would pause and stutter for about 3 seconds once every minute of so. I dont know what was causing it but the HD coolness of it was quickly overshadowed by the annoying glitch.
On mine that is usually caused when the HD signal is lost. When that happens to me my radio tunes to the analog radio instead, the problem being that the delay on the analog station and the digital station aren't always the same. So when you are going in and out of digital service the end result is it sound like the music is skipping. It's very annoying.

Same here. Which is really silly because we use a lot of videos from YouTube for training. you have to get permission fom the IT overlords, and it generally isn't worth the aggravation.

If your office windows are of the newer type, the tinting on them may interfere with reception. If you can get an antena out the window or door towards the signal, you should be okay. The geniuses here installed non opening windows on a ground level building. Windows are tinted too. I have no reception at all, but I do have a crap load of heavy metal on CDs.

Same here. Which is really silly because we use a lot of videos from YouTube for training. you have to get permission fom the IT overlords, and it generally isn't worth the aggravation.
The clerical girls watch YouTube crap and it's allowed. One of them will get a link to a video of some stupid thing and they'll laugh their butts off, a dozen times each.

Don't try streaming audio though!

If your office windows are of the newer type, the tinting on them may interfere with reception. If you can get an antena out the window or door towards the signal, you should be okay. The geniuses here installed non opening windows on a ground level building. Windows are tinted too. I have no reception at all, but I do have a crap load of heavy metal on CDs.
When I worked in the northern suburbs of Detroit, we could get Detroit radio but it had static. We got some of the old metal wire used on drafting tables and lined the south window frame with it for an antenna. Radio came in crystal clear after that.

I have the handheld version of HD radio. There is only one available and its an okay version. It can only be charged by hooking it to a computer and even then the reception is so-so. I've picked up HD streams occasionally and while they do sounds great, most of the time the commercials skip and it randomly drops out and goes back to analog.

The headphones provided are the antenna as well, so it relies on your body to be the antenna.

All in all, I would say you would be better off buying an ipod and getting itunes. Another option is to get an android phone that is compatible with Pandora.

I have the handheld version of HD radio. There is only one available and its an okay version. It can only be charged by hooking it to a computer and even then the reception is so-so. I've picked up HD streams occasionally and while they do sounds great, most of the time the commercials skip and it randomly drops out and goes back to analog.
The headphones provided are the antenna as well, so it relies on your body to be the antenna.

All in all, I would say you would be better off buying an ipod and getting itunes. Another option is to get an android phone that is compatible with Pandora.
Mr snick loves pandora. He bought a blue tooth capable of use as headphone to play in one ear while he is working and he can still hear normally in the other

Pandora on the iPhone is the only thing that keeps me sane some days at work. Thumbs up!

I also like Stitcher for listening to various podcasts.

Back