HCM 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLG923PE

Reaction score
I narrowly failed the exam in the fall (at least I think narrowly with a 54/80). I work as a highway designer and do not use the HCM. Does anyone have any tips for what I should be tabbing out in this reference? I'm hoping the School of PE course will assist in this a little but was hoping someone could give me a few suggestions.

Learn the worksheets at the end of the chapters... They save a ton of time and usually have both the formulas and references to page numbers for other important stuff...

I think i did a problem or two just using one of the worksheets (a decade ago)

Thanks Road Guy but in the 2010 HCM, there are no longer worksheets at the ends of the chapters as there was in the 2000 version. Really makes it difficult for someone that doesn't use this thing.

If they 86'd the worksheets then that makes it a pain... But I would work through the common problems like saturation flow rate and know where to find stuff... Your gonna need lots of trains...

I narrowly failed the exam in the fall (at least I think narrowly with a 54/80). I work as a highway designer and do not use the HCM. Does anyone have any tips for what I should be tabbing out in this reference? I'm hoping the School of PE course will assist in this a little but was hoping someone could give me a few suggestions.
blg. No offense, but it is not complicated. You simply tab/highlight the sections you used during your review and you tab the sections containing the topics as found on the NCEES exam syllabus (hopefully these are one and the same!). https://cdn.ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Civ-Tran-April-2015_Combined.pdf

The 2010 may not have worksheets but they still have example problems at the end of each chapter. You can review those (although they are, in general, more complex than what you'll find on the exam).

Good luck.

I. Traffic Engineering (Capacity Analysis and Transportation Planning)

A. Uninterrupted flow (e.g., level of service, capacity)

B. Street segment interrupted flow (e.g., level of service, running time, travel speed)

C. Intersection capacity (e.g., at grade, signalized, roundabout, interchange)

etc.

Back