Happy State–Sad State / Result State–Waiting State / Red State–Blue State

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My question would be, if they can standardize EVERYTHING ELSE about the exam, why can't they standardize how the results are released??? Let EVERYONE access their results through the internet on the SAME DAY and then let each state send out their licensing information at their own pace. At least then you wouldn't have some people left hanging for WEEKS after others have already gotten their results.

If they did that, there wouldn't be a need to be licensed in a particular state. It would just be a national license. As it is now, the state can change the cut score if they want to. If the pass/fail was put out by NCEES, the state wouldn't have the option to adopt a different cut score than the NCEES score. Maybe. Just a guess really. What you said makes much more sense.

My question would be, if they can standardize EVERYTHING ELSE about the exam, why can't they standardize how the results are released??? Let EVERYONE access their results through the internet on the SAME DAY and then let each state send out their licensing information at their own pace. At least then you wouldn't have some people left hanging for WEEKS after others have already gotten their results.

If they did that, there wouldn't be a need to be licensed in a particular state. It would just be a national license. As it is now, the state can change the cut score if they want to. If the pass/fail was put out by NCEES, the state wouldn't have the option to adopt a different cut score than the NCEES score. Maybe. Just a guess really. What you said makes much more sense.
Exactly, right now NCEES is only authorised to conduct and grade exams. Few states have applied to become direct notification state ( by paying additional fees to NCEES) because they do not want to change the cut score set by NCEES.

Some of the states still want the final say in who passed and who failed. They can legally change the cut off score.. Although most of the state stick with NCEES score. But they want to make their own decision. Some states also do not want to pay extra cost associated with becoming a direct notification state.

Exactly, right now NCEES is only authorised to conduct and grade exams. Few states have applied to become direct notification state ( by paying additional fees to NCEES) because they do not want to change the cut score set by NCEES.

Some of the states still want the final say in who passed and who failed. They can legally change the cut off score.. Although most of the state stick with NCEES score. But they want to make their own decision. Some states also do not want to pay extra cost associated with becoming a direct notification state.
The extra cost of becomming direct notification would probably just be handed down to the applicant the state would not have to eat that cost

maybe Chris Christie did do something for NJ already... i got my results way ahead of schedule... and passed!! glad to now be in a red state!

The Journal Science yesterday released a ranking of the 50 Happiest States in America. You can find that ranking and commentary all over the internet today. Interestingly the first state to report results (Louisiana) was also listed as the Happiest State (gee, I wonder why). Many of the commentators have noted that the states at the top of the list were predominantly red states (i.e., voted for McCain) and those at the bottom were predominantly blue states (i.e., voted for Obama). Some suggest that conservative pundits will interpret the results as proof that residents are happiest in locations with a limited government/red state philosophy whereas liberal pundits will view the results as the reason citizens in blue states are the ones most clamoring for and in need of “change”. I think they’re both wrong – I think the states at the top are happiest because, as first observed by Chade Sullivan at Post #101 on the **OFFICIAL OCT 2009 RESULT DATE THREAD**, the red states are getting their Exam results the earliest.

“This is a red state landslide!

AL, 12/18/09, Letter AR, 12/17/09, Website AZ, 12/15/09, Email

DE, 12/17/2009, Mail FL, 12/15/09, Email GA, 12/17/09, Website

IL, 12/17/09, Website IN, 12/15/09, Email LA, 12/15/09, Email

MI, 12/15/09, Email MO, 12/16/09, Email MS, 12/16/09, Letter

MT, 12/16/09, Email NH, 12/15/09, Email NM, 12/17/09, Email

OH, 12/16/09, Email SC, 12/16/09, Email TX, 12/18/09, Website

UT, 12/16/09, Email VT, 12/16/09, Email WA, 12/16/09, E-mail”

Anyway here’s the top 25 on Science’s list of happiest states; 56% of these states have already received exam results compared to less than 27% of the states (plus D.C.) at the bottom half of the list.

1. Louisiana – McCain ↔ LA, 12/15/09, Email

2. Hawaii – Obama

3. Florida – Obama ↔ FL, 12/15/09, Email

4. Tennessee – McCain

5. Arizona – McCain ↔ AZ, 12/15/09, Email

6. Mississippi – McCain ↔ MS, 12/16/09, Letter

7. Montana – McCain ↔ MT, 12/16/09, Email

8. South Carolina – McCain ↔ SC, 12/16/09, Email

9. Alabama – McCain ↔ AL, 12/18/09, Letter

10. Maine – Obama

11. Alaska – McCain

12. North Carolina – Obama

13. Wyoming – McCain

14. Idaho – McCain

15. South Dakota – McCain

16. Texas – McCain ↔ TX, 12/18/09, Website

17. Arkansas – McCain ↔ AR, 12/17/09, Website

18. Vermont -Obama ↔ VT, 12/16/09, Email

19. Georgia – McCain ↔ GA, 12/17/09, Website

20. Oklahoma – McCain

21. Colorado – Obama

22. Delaware – Obama ↔ DE, 12/17/2009, Mail

23. Utah – McCain ↔ UT, 12/16/09, Email

24. New Mexico – Obama ↔ NM, 12/17/09, Email

25. North Dakota – McCain
Remember, in general more ignorant people are happier (the less you know, the less things that worry you)

'-)

where exactly are you exiled to?
Spent 10.5 months in Alaska in 2005 and fell in love with the place - felt like a kid again (I was 54 at the time). Am now back in the Lower 48 (or 'Outside' as Alaskans refer to it), more specifically in the midwest at present, although I'm a resident of NH. After 2005 any place that's not Alaska is 'exile'.

Earned a PE in 1980 in Environmental, but Alaska doesn't offer registration in that discipline, so for me the only way to become licensed there was by examination. Since my B.S. (1973 - before many of you were born) was Manufacturing Engineering and M.S. (1976) was Environmental Engineering, this 58-year old has spent most of the past 24 months studying transportation, structural, and geotechnical in order to sit for (and hopefully pass) the Civil exam and earn registration in Alaska. Then the really tough part begins (particularly at my age and in this economy) - finding a job in The Great Land. But at least if I'm registered in Alaska I'll know I've done all I can to make that happen. Thanks for asking.
I love being in Alaska. I think Alaska and Corolado are the most beautiful states.

The Journal Science yesterday released a ranking of the 50 Happiest States in America. You can find that ranking and commentary all over the internet today. Interestingly the first state to report results (Louisiana) was also listed as the Happiest State (gee, I wonder why). Many of the commentators have noted that the states at the top of the list were predominantly red states (i.e., voted for McCain) and those at the bottom were predominantly blue states (i.e., voted for Obama). Some suggest that conservative pundits will interpret the results as proof that residents are happiest in locations with a limited government/red state philosophy whereas liberal pundits will view the results as the reason citizens in blue states are the ones most clamoring for and in need of “change”. I think they’re both wrong – I think the states at the top are happiest because, as first observed by Chade Sullivan at Post #101 on the **OFFICIAL OCT 2009 RESULT DATE THREAD**, the red states are getting their Exam results the earliest.

“This is a red state landslide!

AL, 12/18/09, Letter AR, 12/17/09, Website AZ, 12/15/09, Email

DE, 12/17/2009, Mail FL, 12/15/09, Email GA, 12/17/09, Website

IL, 12/17/09, Website IN, 12/15/09, Email LA, 12/15/09, Email

MI, 12/15/09, Email MO, 12/16/09, Email MS, 12/16/09, Letter

MT, 12/16/09, Email NH, 12/15/09, Email NM, 12/17/09, Email

OH, 12/16/09, Email SC, 12/16/09, Email TX, 12/18/09, Website

UT, 12/16/09, Email VT, 12/16/09, Email WA, 12/16/09, E-mail”

Anyway here’s the top 25 on Science’s list of happiest states; 56% of these states have already received exam results compared to less than 27% of the states (plus D.C.) at the bottom half of the list.

1. Louisiana – McCain ↔ LA, 12/15/09, Email

2. Hawaii – Obama

3. Florida – Obama ↔ FL, 12/15/09, Email

4. Tennessee – McCain

5. Arizona – McCain ↔ AZ, 12/15/09, Email

6. Mississippi – McCain ↔ MS, 12/16/09, Letter

7. Montana – McCain ↔ MT, 12/16/09, Email

8. South Carolina – McCain ↔ SC, 12/16/09, Email

9. Alabama – McCain ↔ AL, 12/18/09, Letter

10. Maine – Obama

11. Alaska – McCain

12. North Carolina – Obama

13. Wyoming – McCain

14. Idaho – McCain

15. South Dakota – McCain

16. Texas – McCain ↔ TX, 12/18/09, Website

17. Arkansas – McCain ↔ AR, 12/17/09, Website

18. Vermont -Obama ↔ VT, 12/16/09, Email

19. Georgia – McCain ↔ GA, 12/17/09, Website

20. Oklahoma – McCain

21. Colorado – Obama

22. Delaware – Obama ↔ DE, 12/17/2009, Mail

23. Utah – McCain ↔ UT, 12/16/09, Email

24. New Mexico – Obama ↔ NM, 12/17/09, Email

25. North Dakota – McCain
Remember, in general more ignorant people are happier (the less you know, the less things that worry you)

'-)
Ah, the ‘Ignorance is bliss’ concept (an incomplete rendering of Thomas Gray’s "Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise."). However, it is possible that the ancient Greeks had a better handle on the issue with their opposite view that “Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness.” (Sophocles). At least w/r/t sitting for a PE Exam, I’ll cast my lot with Sophocles.

However, unfortunately political activists of the 4th century B.C. couldn’t leave it at that, but had to put a red city-state / blue city-state spin on it. Just like Susan B. Anthony more than two millennia later (“Independence is happiness.”), it looks likes Aristotle tried turning the definition of happiness into a political issue with his quote “Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient.”.

alaska_flag_waving_emoticon_us_state_animated.gif

Back