Half Wave Ractifier

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saw

Reaction score
Is the Vrms to Vmax in HWR is (Vrms= Vmax/ sqr2 )or (Vrms= Vmax/2)

I see in PPI book page 27-6 the second formal and on NCEES problem 515 the first formula.

Thanks

it is Vmax/sqrt 2.

The easiest way I found to remeber is that 120V rms = 169 V max.

in this case the full rectifier and half rectifier Vmax both will be calculated the same way. (Vmax = Vrms X sqr2). Is that correct?

If Vrms= Vmax/2 per the Wikipedia and PPI, then why NCEES problem 515 is using Vrms= Vmax/ sqr2? I am not sure which one to believe.

yeah true, its so damn confusing,,,,,,,, gurrrrrrrrrrr

First of all (and please don't take this the wrong way), engineering principles should not be extracted from wikipedia. Just because they are there, does not make them right. And that goes for anything on the internet. Go with what's in your references. If you'd like to know more on rectifiers, consult the analog elec book I had, micro-electronic circuits by sedra and smith. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Per the NCEES FE Reference Manual: Page 197

Effective Or RMS Value: For Half-wave rectified sine wave,

Xeff = Xrms = Xman/2

Of course I had a type in the post above this and can't figure out how to edit. Xeff = Xrms = Xmax/2

I ran into this same issue on CI Exam 3, Problem 37.

I am still confused how to treat a HWR. Should it be sqrt2 or 2?

Per Graffeo's book, Vmax = Vrms x sqrt 2 (EE's Guide to Passing the Power PE Exam). Vrms = Veff. There maybe an error in your PPI version. I am also looking at section 27-6, example 27.3 in the PPI and it shows sqrt 2. I saw in your original post where you said your PPI shows 2 instead of sqrt2. Mine is the 8th edition.

So I ran into the same issue today... doesn't look like anyone has clarification.

PPI says in Table 27.2 (1st edition, 3rd print) that Vrms/Vm is 1/2.

Complex Imaginary and NCEES say sqrt(2)

The PPI Errata does not cover the issue.

So in NCEES 515, does it not matter if the circuit is half wave or full wave? I agree with dayrongarcia, but in NCEES' explanation for the half wave rectifier, they state reverse voltage is twice the peak value or 2*sqrt(2)

So in NCEES 515, does it not matter if the circuit is half wave or full wave? I agree with dayrongarcia, but in NCEES' explanation for the half wave rectifier, they state reverse voltage is twice the peak value or 2*sqrt(2)

See page 181 of Graffeo. I don't think it matters if it's full wave or half wave because 115 is asking for the reverse voltage of the diode.

Back