gudia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gudia

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone can help me understand the practice problem #7 in Hiner Part 2 Example Problems..-part d

Part d asks for Seimsic Response Coefficient Cs

I understand how to calculate that based on asce 12-8-2

however, I don't understand the difference between T, Ta, Ts, TL. How do you calculate TL? In the Note it states that T<<Tl

where do you calculate the TL?

ANy help is appreciated. Thanks.

I was wondering if someone can help me understand the practice problem #7 in Hiner Part 2 Example Problems..-part d
Part d asks for Seimsic Response Coefficient Cs

I understand how to calculate that based on asce 12-8-2

however, I don't understand the difference between T, Ta, Ts, TL. How do you calculate TL? In the Note it states that T<<Tl

where do you calculate the TL?

ANy help is appreciated. Thanks.
TL is the variable for "long-period transition period" and is typically used in the base shear calculations for very tall and/or slender structures with longer periods. Anyway, TL is site specific and can be found from the Long-Period Transition maps in Chapter 22 of ASCE 7-05. No calculation is needed to find TL.

To explain a little further, TL is given in Figure 22-15 of the ASCE 7-05. For example, most of middle America has a TL of 12.

Back