Grocery Shopping

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We spend about $85/week on average for two adults (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). We don't eat many processed foods and there aren't many coupons for produce, meat, and dairy foods. We only buy organic milk and yogurt and avoid high fructose corn syrup - which I swear is in everything. Also, during the pregnancy I'm trying to stick with organic for certain fruits and veggies (the ones with the most pesticide residue). Organic = expensive!

It's just me, and I'd be surprised if I spent more than about $100 a month on groceries. I don't eat breakfast, and usually eat out for lunch during the week. So I have usually 2 lunches and 5 or 6 dinners (I eat dinner out probably about once a week). I usually have a big ($150+) grocery trip about once every 2 months, and a few $10-$20 trips in between for bread and peanut butter.

I usually do one big shopping trip to publix a month, with milk/bread runs to the local grocery store. I also purchase ALL of my hygeine, paper products, trash bags and detergents at the dollar general store. We were spending about $450 a month on all that stuff for just two people...

and then I found the feed store back in March, picking up all the animal supplies there has saved me well over $100 a month because I can get a 40 pound bag of good dog food for $28 rather then a 30 pound bag of only okay food at publix for $25. The dogs are eating A LOT less of the new food because it's more suited for their breeds, so we are getting by on about one bag every 2 or 2 and a half weeks. Added to the savings of purchasing all the kitty supplies and the flea meds etc...

I only get paid once a month, so the first two weeks we eat a lot of fresh veggies and fruits and lunchmeat... switching to foods with more preservatives as it gets closer to the 15th. We also do not eat out very much, and when we do it's always someplace like subway where we can both eat for less then $15.

I suppose I could save some money going to the commisary... but since we are both working, I'm paying to avoid the driving.

^^ That sucks that you only get paid once a month. I'd almost be tempted to setup some kind of system where the entire paycheck is direct-deposited into a savings account then do a corresponding bi-weekly or bi-monthly automatic transfer.

I usually do one big shopping trip to publix a month, with milk/bread runs to the local grocery store. I also purchase ALL of my hygeine, paper products, trash bags and detergents at the dollar general store. We were spending about $450 a month on all that stuff for just two people...
and then I found the feed store back in March, picking up all the animal supplies there has saved me well over $100 a month because I can get a 40 pound bag of good dog food for $28 rather then a 30 pound bag of only okay food at publix for $25. The dogs are eating A LOT less of the new food because it's more suited for their breeds, so we are getting by on about one bag every 2 or 2 and a half weeks. Added to the savings of purchasing all the kitty supplies and the flea meds etc...

I only get paid once a month, so the first two weeks we eat a lot of fresh veggies and fruits and lunchmeat... switching to foods with more preservatives as it gets closer to the 15th. We also do not eat out very much, and when we do it's always someplace like subway where we can both eat for less then $15.

I suppose I could save some money going to the commisary... but since we are both working, I'm paying to avoid the driving.
What brand of dog food?

What brand of dog food?

Diamond Extreme Athlete- It has 32% protein and 25% fat with added glucosamine

I actually like having the once a month pay, it's made me pay much closer attention to what we spend on things.

Since my BIL made partner at his law firm, he only gets paid once a quarter, and the amount varies every quarter. That's gotta throw a wrench in your budgeting sprockets.

I'd love to have a menu plan for the week, but a. 2 of the 3 stores in town don't have ads and b. mr snick doesn't like that idea. I've tried. So we just have lots of choice on hand and decide each night.

What I do each month is see what we have, and see what meals I can make... then I don't say "tuesday we are having this" I say, here are the 31 options for the month... by the end of the month it is usually slimmer picking, but it works and my husband (who doesn't like to feel boxed in to a set menu) seems to do okay with it.

What brand of dog food?

Diamond Extreme Athlete- It has 32% protein and 25% fat with added glucosamine

I actually like having the once a month pay, it's made me pay much closer attention to what we spend on things.
Yowza! You running a husky ranch or something? Those are some serious calories.

I've actually been spending less on dog food. One of my dogs got overweight when we stopped strictly watching his diet, so we not only put him on a weight control recipe, but added a lot of veggies as bulk, so he feels full.

That was about the time we got the pup. She saw he was getting the veggies, and assumed it was something special, and practically begged for them.

We actually just got the big dog off of the weight control diet, but still do the veggies. We got him down from 104 to 92 lbs. Believe it or not, that's what the vet says is his ideal size. He's one of the biggest pure Labs you'll ever run into.

I don't have exact figures because it seems like every day I ahve to run to the store for something we forgot, or something we ran out of, but I'd guess we spend close to $200 a week for food for a family of 5 (including a live-in housekeeper) and daily babysitting for 2-4 additional nieces and nephews. Prices out here are very high for most things.

Here's an example, and I'd love to hear how much you guys pay for it, but your typical Costco bag of frozen chicken breasts is around $25 now. That seems awfully high to me. 3 years ago it was only $18.

Back