Grapes, Barley, & Sour Mash

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper PE LS

Aspiring Couch Potato
Reaction score
As I get older, I'm trying to appreciate more sophisticated tastes. Recently I've been exploring different bourbons. I'm currently fond of Bookers.

I thought I'd see what libations others like and perhaps try something new.

Last edited by a moderator:
A good everyday (i.e., affordable) bourbon is Evan Williams. Wild Turkey 101 is quite nice - Bulleit Rye is very nice, but I tend to like the rye heavy brands too.

I always figure if I have to try to appreciated it then it isn't good... I was at somebody's house for Thanksgiving one year and was given some special Johnny Walker label and couldn't even force a second sip... I dumped it into a soda when the host wasn't looking and then dumped it down the drain later.

Glenlevit (SP?) 15yr French Reserve. I drink it straight with just a splash of cold water.

Stranahans. It's a single malt whiskey. I drink it the same as the Glen.

Both bottles are stored in my wife's wine fridge at 40*, and I prefer drinking it chilled.

One word: scotch.

McCallans, when the bank is full of fatty cash. Glenlivet is good when it's not. Or Famous Grouse is a decent working mans scotch, good, but not too-too 'spensive.

But my go to is (and here is where Dex kicks me to the curb) Clan McGregor.

Yes, it's blended; Yes, it's cheap. But it's perfectly drinkable cheap scotch. About $16 a handle. So there, I'm out of the closet. Hi, my name is Wolverine and I drink Clan McGregor.

No kicking to the curb shall occur to a fellow scotch/whiskey lover. Unless it's Old Crow, which even the toilet is too good of a place for that swill.

You probably can't get it outside of Kentucky, but Elmer T. Lee is my favorite bourbon. Four Roses single barrel or small batch is pretty good. Bulleit is one of my favorites as well.

I love Bulleit!

Also a Macallan fan. That was my 5th anniversary gift to the Mr., since it's aged in oak casks.

I'm a scotch guy. I like to start with 15 year Macallan and go up from there. If I'm feeling a bit cheaper, I'll go with a Glenfiddich 15. Macallan 30 is the stuff dreams are made of.

My hands down favorite on-the-rocks drink would be Irish whiskey; Bushmills, Jameson's. But they're also pricier than bourbon or American whiskey (well, Evan Williams anyways). Scotch, no offense to nobody, just seems a little foo-foo, palate-wise, compared to the 'spicier' Irish or American whiskeys. I've been digging reposado tequila for awhile; but tend to be overly capable of drinking a lot of it in too short a time. :drunk1:

Beers, I'm def a pale ale or IPA guy - hops FTW!

Fan of Irish whiskey, we keep Jameson's in the house and some Powers. Both are really good, Powers is a little sweeter. Jameson's 12 year is really good if you want to splurge. For our anniversary we bought a bottle of Middleton Reserve, it was good but I guess my palate isn't sophisticated enough to truly appreciate the really good stuff so I'll never buy it again. We bought some Powers 12 year but haven't tried it yet with the mrs pregnant and figured it would be mean to drink it without her since the Powers is her favorite.

I like to drink them neat or sometimes with some ice. Not really a mixer except for sometimes in coffee.

Can't get into Scotch, not a fan of the smokey taste.

right now I am really enjoying Balvenie Double Wood Scotch. it is a single malt aged in two types of wood, oak whiskey and sherry casks, the two types of wood really brings... i have no idea what i am talking about, it just taste good to me.

A glass of my Glenlivet put me to sleep last night. First time I've slept without waking at 4am in a while...

Latest posts

Back