Google Earth locals and Street View locals Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this one, too. It's just south of Area 51 in NV. Draw your own conclusions about what has gone on there...
It looks like marks left by those wheeled irrigation booms that go in circles.
It is almost certainly not that...My thought is that they are survey lines from the blast area around a crater...
banbary.jpg
It has been my experience with one shot testing that blast lines are radial, not concentric rings.

I know this one, too. It's just south of Area 51 in NV. Draw your own conclusions about what has gone on there...
It is almost certainly not that...My thought is that they are survey lines from the blast area around a crater...
It has been my experience with one shot testing that blast lines are radial, not concentric rings.

They aren't blast lines...They are sampling grid lines from around the center of the crater. The test device was 900' underground, and some of it got away...oops.

They aren't blast lines...They are sampling grid lines from around the center of the crater. The test device was 900' underground, and some of it got away...oops.
That isn't the Sedan test site is it?

That isn't the Sedan test site is it?
That's Baneberry in the photo...The U.S. unsung nuclear disaster, it happened in 1970.

I changed my mind, though, I think it's remnants of a mine just east of the NTS (sorry NNSS)...I had to bust out a different map.

Just out of curiosity, I scanned the first one with my smartphone.

I got an ad for Google.Chrome.

^Really? I was assuming it was just an artifact from including higher resolution bathymetry data - you know, survey grid lines.

This is a cool thread. I will have to open this one up at home with my son - he has become a google earth fanatic.

What was that crazy pattern area in China?

There's a lot of speculation about the China lines. I figure it has something to do with oil/mineral exploration.

Didn't they say the China lines were used for calibration of satellites. Or was that some other place in China.

^^Somethin went BOOM at that second one; or it was a launch of some sort that radiated out...

Edit - reminds me of the book & subsequent movie Andromeda Strain...

The 4th looks like a standard corn field during harvest time; nothing out of the ordinary there to me...
other than the truck that is on its side on the side of the road?

Didn't they say the China lines were used for calibration of satellites. Or was that some other place in China.
This.

My last house I redid the roof with light gray shingles. I knew when they updated the images because the new light color showed up and also you could see my car in the driveway.

I like bing maps better, but I like the idea of historical data. Unfortunately, for some reason, Google Earth won't load here. I suspect it is verboten for some reason.

Back