going to a gaY bar???

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 - Dude needed a lesson to be a little more tolerant
hey... wait!

Chuckie: Exactly, how many times do you see straight people making out a bar? It's considered poor taste then, too. From what i understand the only difference between a gay bar and a straight bar is that in a gay bar guys will tend to chat up with other guys and women will chat up with women and there's less guy/girl social interaction. Based on that appearance most sports bars are "gay bars" because they're typically populated with guys watching a game.
... In my experience (I hate to sterotype or generalize, thus provingVT's point above; butt, I have gay friends, and none of them will argue against the point I am about to make) gay guys will be more forward and open with their displays of PDA, esp. in an envrionment that supports it (like a gay bar)... more than likely, you are not into that type of thing, and will be no more inclined to watch (or participate) than you would if it were a straight couple, so it should be easy to tune out.

MA- from your description, I would guess never been... I have only been to one gay bar once, it is considered one of the "tamest" gay bars in southern cali (hot female gogo dancers)... and it was, in my opinion, outrageously flamboyant... entertaining, and worth the visit, but if one were homophobic, it would have been a nightmare! On the otherhand... if you've ever been to a rave... pretty much the same thing.

I don't see what the real problem is, I have only been to 1 or 2 in my life, but for the most part not a lot different than any other bar and I was with my girlfriend, so it wasn't like a bunch of dude prop. me anyway.

Plus it was one of the few times anyone has actually bought me drinks!

I've only ever been to gay bars out here, which are mostly Filipino and islander, and although they can be pretty flamboyant, I didn't see much PDA and they all left me alone. Which was either a case of their superior gaydar, or an devastatingly insulting statement regarding my attractiveness.....

I say go. It will be good for you to see something like that. I never knew too many gays before I lived here and ended up being around one guy in particular on our local running club, who turned out to be one of the funniest people I ever met. He then would drag big groups of us straight folks (men and women) to the gay bars with him occasionally. It certainly improved my outlook, which is crucial considering my son's pre-school teacher dresses up as a woman on the weekends. That probably would have bothered me before.....

I say go. It will be good for you to see something like that. I never knew too many gays before I lived here and ended up being around one guy in particular on our local running club, who turned out to be one of the funniest people I ever met. He then would drag big groups of us straight folks (men and women) to the gay bars with him occasionally. It certainly improved my outlook, which is crucial considering my son's pre-school teacher dresses up as a woman on the weekends. That probably would have bothered me before.....
+1

Unless there are some other reasons for why you wouldn't want to go - I just wouldn't use the 'gay bar' as the reason not to go.

JR

they all left me alone. Which was either a case of their superior gaydar, or an devastatingly insulting statement regarding my attractiveness.....
:Locolaugh:

I think you hit the nail on the head...RG is afraid of rejection.

X2. I've been in gay bars when I was in college (had some lady friends with gay best friends, so got drug along), and nobody even said a peep to me. Not so much as a blip on the gaydar, they're pretty good at knowing who is and who isn't.
I had been drug into one in the earlier days. It was down the street from the other bars. The gals loved it for the dance music and lack of freaks hitting on them. The place was loaded with straight women.

I bet you've been into a Victoria's Secret before too, but it doesn't mean you need a bra. You'll be fine.
too funny. My hubby actually has no problems going to VS. He has picked out some nice presents in the past.

Yeah, me too.

I met up with MA at a sports bar last summer (should do this again), and went out for a beer a couple times on a Friday after work, but that's about it. I'd just so much rather grab a six pack and hang out at someone's place than do the bar scene.

too funny. My hubby actually has no problems going to VS. He has picked out some nice presents in the past.
:eek:rlyflag: :GotPics:

Lingerie shops never bothered me, but places like Bath and Body works are definitely an estrogen only club. I swear they put something in those lotions and potions that triggers an adverse physical response and the flight instinct in anyone with a Y chromosome.

My Mom works in the cosmetic department of a large drug store chain. So she gets all this stuff for my wife at 90% off if not free when the close stuff out. Except it's cheap shit. So I get to curl up next to someone that smells like strawberry Quik from time to time.

I have hated the 'club' scene since college. I worked the door at one, and hope to never go back. I like the occasional sports bar for wings, beer, and a game, but that's about it.

On Friday, my wife and I went to Outback to celebrate her B-day. My good buddy owns the local one (proprietor) and he hooked us up with appetizers, drinks, 3 different desserts, it was great. We had a booth near the bar, but its all non-smoking so I love it. I could go to a non-smoking bar anytime. :D

^ I take it they have not passed a no smoking regulation for bars there?

They passed one in NY when I was in college and it made the experience so much more pleasant. VT and MA have similar rules. I recall walking into a bar in Wyoming a couple of years ago an immediately gagging my asthmatic brains out. You spend 20 minutes there and have one beer and stink like a bar towel the rest of the day.

^ I take it they have not passed a no smoking regulation for bars there?
They passed one in NY when I was in college and it made the experience so much more pleasant. VT and MA have similar rules. I recall walking into a bar in Wyoming a couple of years ago an immediately gagging my asthmatic brains out. You spend 20 minutes there and have one beer and stink like a bar towel the rest of the day.
I was somewhere (don't remember where), and walked into a restaurant. They asked me "smoking or non-smoking" and I didn't understand the question. Louisville has been non-smoking in restaurants and bars for several years, and the bowling alleys just lost smoking 2 years ago.

I met up with MA at a sports bar last summer (should do this again)
yes you should.

I personally enjoy hanging in a bar and tossing a few back. I really enjoy going somplace with a live band.

I'm not there trying to "scoop" anyone, therefore I'm not into the "bar scene" but I like going out. of course it's not that often anymore and I need to get home early to get to bed.

Thank god for the no-smoking regulations, I can recall back in the old days where you could cut the smoke with a knife.

I've been to only one gay bar, and it was so pretentious I had to leave.

A friend of mine turns 21 soon so we're taking him to the drag bar and probably a gay bar I did some remodel work on since its the only one I know about.

When they wrote the theme song to the Flintstones, do you think they knew what they were doing?

just sayin'.

Flintstones, meet the Flintstones, They're a modern stoneage family.

From the, town of Bedrock, They're a page right out of history.

Let's ride, with the family down the street, Through the courtesy of Fred's two feet.

When you're, with the Flintstones, Have a yabba dabba doo time, A dabba doo time, You'll have a.........

If you go with your wife or a friend who is known to bring a lot of straight people to the bar, then the patrons will likely assume you may be straight. But I don't buy this "gaydar" stuff at all. Of course, maybe that's because I got propositioned a few times when I was in college (when I was hitch-hiking, not in a bar). And once I got hit on in Berkely by a 300 lb transvestite in a purple mini skirt. I just assumed it was because I was breathtakinly handsome in those days. But maybe I'm deep in the closet and don't realize it. I've put on about 60 lbs since then, and lost all my hair, so I'll stick with my wife - I couldn't cut it on the gay scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back