Getting ready for the PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKnack

Reaction score
I'm taking the Mech PE on the 24th. I started some light studying back in January, but I've been super busy and haven't done any super serious studying; maybe 3 Saturday's worth. During my last semester of undergrad I had to take the FE, my school had a nearly 100% FE pass rate for nearly a decade and they were very proud of that so they made us all take it. Since I was taking 22 credit hours (CS minor and Co-op overloads your class schedule) I was completely swamped and my brain was about to melt so I didn't study at all for the FE. I passed, but I don't think I had much room to spare.

I took the PE PPI practice exam morning section last Saturday. I felt pretty good about it until I graded it. I got 20 out of 40. Although I went back through and at least 7 of those were really stupid "Doh" mistakes that I think they're looking for. Not "finishing" the problem once you finish the big calculation, forgetting to convert units, etc. Since there is actually an answer that corrisponds to a simple mistake, it's really easy to get fooled into stopping there and moving on. There were about 7 problems that I think I really need to study hard. I've decided to get the NCEES practice test and the 6 minute problem books. I'll take the next 3 Friday's off and study 2 full days every weekend. I'm wondering which afternoon section I should take. I worked in lower power train design for a huge construction machine mfg for 5 years, and statics/dynamics/machine design has always been very natural for me. However, my thermo/fluids teacher in undergrad was fantastic and I feel more comfortable with those types of problems.

I think I'll study for both (should help the morning section) and choose at the test. Is there a problem doing this? Should I choose before hand? Also, if I get done early in the morning (I take tests very quickly. Finished the FE in 3.5 hrs total) can I look at the afternoon sections so that I can decide early?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, if I get done early in the morning (I take tests very quickly. Finished the FE in 3.5 hrs total) can I look at the afternoon sections so that I can decide early?
Nope. Completely different exam booklet for the afternoon portion.

You should definitely try and chose beforehand... Splitting your studying is not a good idea. Find a few practice problems for the two (or three) disciplines you have in mind then see which seem the most applicable to your knowledge base...

Going in and deciding during the test what discipline you feel like taking usually isn't a very efficient study practice.

I also took and passed the FE before graduating, but by the time I took the electrical PE last October, 10 years had passed. Looking back, I would have to admit that the PE was not as difficult as the FE in terms of, for example, computational difficulty. However, the PE was much tougher on me for other reasons, such as no longer being used to taking tests, an uncomfortable chair and room, etc. I was already suffering from a kidney infection, plus I developed a splitting headache before lunch. Fortunately, I packed quite a "survival kit" (pain reliever, cushion, candy and so forth) and made it through the day, but I was exhausted by the time I got home (only about 45 minutes away). Amazingly, I passed :)

Guess what I'm saying is this; prepare for anything, stay calm and focused, and take your time. If you finish either session in less than 3 hours, you're a better man than I am. Good luck.

You should definitely try and chose beforehand... Splitting your studying is not a good idea. Find a few practice problems for the two (or three) disciplines you have in mind then see which seem the most applicable to your knowledge base...
Going in and deciding during the test what discipline you feel like taking usually isn't a very efficient study practice.
I agree with dastuff. Splitting is a waste of valuable time.

The "second-to -last time I took the exam, I peaked at another section in the afternoon. It was then I realized that I would probably have been better off taking that section instead. But, since I really did not study it, I stuck with the one I was prepared for. I failed, but came back and passed, having prepared for the alternate section.

Did that make sense? :beat:

I agree with everyone -- choose now, choose wisely :)

I stuck with HVAC even though I had little design experience with it... I just felt more comfortable with those types of problems.

Back