getting licensed as a CA S.E.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess I will do the same thing. Try to find people myself first. Leave them as the last try. Thanks.

[

Sorry I can't help you much.

We're all in the same boat when it comes to this reference stuff. It really does suck for us out of staters.

Hello, kevo_55:

I am not sure your situation. Just ask here. You are already SE in CA? I am sure I got two right now, do you mind helping me do the other one? My email [email protected]. Thanks.

We're all in the same boat when it comes to this reference stuff. It really does suck for us out of staters.
edit: email removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, kevo_55 again:

Got your message, not sure I replied to the right place, since I never used PM before. Thanks for your advice. I will try my best. Hopefully, we all get our goal soon. Happy New Year!

Hello, kevo_55:
I am not sure your situation. Just ask here. You are already SE in CA? I am sure I got two right now, do you mind helping me do the other one? My email [email protected]. Thanks.

Hello, kevo_55 again:
Got your message, not sure I replied to the right place, since I never used PM before. Thanks for your advice. I will try my best. Hopefully, we all get our goal soon. Happy New Year!

Hello, kevo_55:

zhoutt8,

I don't know if you those two SE references well but if you do, perhaps you can ask either of them if they know one more that could review your work and then serve as a reference. Just a thought.

Hi, Guys:

I possibly got enough REFs. Thanks for your suggestion. Hopefully, we will achieve our goal soon.

No I am almost ready to submit my application for October SE III. Any idea about the reference book to study for that test? Thanks.

That's great!

Well, I'm not sure what to really study yet. According to the CA Board, only 29% of us really knew what to study. :(

It is a very unfortunate thing for most of the people taking CA SE last october. This year's passing rate of 29% is much lower than last year's passing rate 50.4%. This is rediculous!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody knows how important to have a California Building Code with you during the exam? Does IBC work totally fine instead? Looks to me that we will pass if we can get 50% of the points available? Does the morning section look like the SE I test? Thanks.

Guys, I have a question,

I have passed SE I and SE II from Texas and I was planning to get CA SE license. Do you know if I can still be eligible to take CA SE III test in October 2011?

Thanks

Guys, I have a question,
I have passed SE I and SE II from Texas and I was planning to get CA SE license. Do you know if I can still be eligible to take CA SE III test in October 2011?

Thanks
Structural Ninja,

You may want to check out this document. Hope this answers your questions.

http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/se_faqs_12_08_10.pdf

By the way, congrats on passing SEI & II

Thanks Biged,

It's not very clear from this document that I can still take SE III in CA.

I have two concenrs mainly:

1) It says you need to have CA PE license to appear for SE III in CA, which I can get from SE I, And then you need to have 3 years of experince after your CA PE? I won't be able to get that. Am I reading it correct?

2) And then I need to produce 3 CA SE references, which I can get somehow following the above discussions.

But my big concern is CA PE and do I need to have 3 years of experience after PE (in my case SE I)? I have only 1.5 year experience after SE I.

If I were you, I would go for the WA SE III, then you could take the seismic and survey exams later if you want to.

Guys, I have a question,

Thanks
Structural Ninja,

You may want to check out this document. Hope this answers your questions.

http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/se_faqs_12_08_10.pdf

By the way, congrats on passing SEI & II

Thanks Biged,

It's not very clear from this document that I can still take SE III in CA.

I have two concenrs mainly:

1) It says you need to have CA PE license to appear for SE III in CA, which I can get from SE I, And then you need to have 3 years of experince after your CA PE? I won't be able to get that. Am I reading it correct?

2) And then I need to produce 3 CA SE references, which I can get somehow following the above discussions.

But my big concern is CA PE and do I need to have 3 years of experience after PE (in my case SE I)? I have only 1.5 year experience after SE I.
Structural Ninja,

Basically, if you want to be a CA S.E., you have to be a CA Civil P.E. first.

To be a CA Civil P.E., you must do the following: pass a national 8-hr exam (which you have) + pass civil/survey exam + pass civil/seismic exam. I don't know of any way to get around "being a CA Civil P.E. first" requirement.

Since you have only 1.5-yrs experience after the SEI, you should work towards acquiring the CA Civil P.E.

If you really want to be a CA S.E., I suggest reading the following: http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/seappintro.shtml

If I were you, I would go for the WA SE III, then you could take the seismic and survey exams later if you want to.
So California will continue to offer Seismic and Survey exams as usual even after April 2011? And I can even take it after SE III in WA?

I heard that WA SE III passing rate are quite less than CA SE III passing rate, but I guess that's my best bet for now.

Thanks for your reply.

McEngr, Is this true or I am reading something wrong?

"You must have a minimum of 8 years of approved engineering experience." WA requires atleast 8 years of engineering experience if you want to get a PE by comity?

http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/651016.pdf

Latest posts

Back