Geotechnical softwares

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biswa

Reaction score
I have been working as a staff geotech engineer for last 5 years. I have not used any geotech special softwares other than MS office and Autocad. I am sitting for my PE in spring 2010. I would like to learn useful geotech softwares to make myself more marketable. Any suggestions on what geotech softwares (the most popular in geotech field) I need to be proficient on to be more valuable.

Any pointers will help. Thanks. :brickwall:

Try gINT. I've been using it for the past 6 years now. You can create boring logs, proctor curves, gradation curves, and soil profile.

Take a look at Rockworks, Geo-Slope, and Slope Indicator. Rockworks is a great all around tool (you can do some cool 3D modeling of the subsurface, interpolating what the soil conditions between borings is), gINT is a pretty standard soil logging software (my company uses it, but my office uses CAD), Geo-Slope is used to model slope stability, and Slope Indicator provides products for installing/analyzing inclinometer data (measures slope movement). I have used all of these in my 5 years on the job.

Take a look at Rockworks, Geo-Slope, and Slope Indicator. Rockworks is a great all around tool (you can do some cool 3D modeling of the subsurface, interpolating what the soil conditions between borings is), gINT is a pretty standard soil logging software (my company uses it, but my office uses CAD), Geo-Slope is used to model slope stability, and Slope Indicator provides products for installing/analyzing inclinometer data (measures slope movement). I have used all of these in my 5 years on the job.
Thanks

Back