Geotech PM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^^Let's try this...

Be more specific and explain what exactly do you want. I am sure somebody will be able to help.

Just a clarification...if you are looking for book material or anything protected by author's right or something like that you will not find that here.

There are a lot of posts on the Civil-Geo forum. That should give you a nice cue.

Good luck!!!!

what about this book >Soil Mechanics and Foundation Design: 201 Solved Problems (Paperback)

by Liiban A. Affi .

has anyone used this book to study. I am taking the PE (geotech pm) for the first time, don't know what to expect.

^^^ There was a thread that provided some opinions about this text, though I can't seem to find it at this point.

I had a friend that prepared and took Civil/Geotech Depth that picked up this book. He was relatively unimpressed by the text because even though it provided a cookie-cutter cookbook approach to problem solving, in his opinion it didn't really give you a good coverage for problem solving. Now, if someone is interested in trying to review the basics - I think it is probably a good book. For the more advanced topics - soil mechanics, deep foundations, etc. then it might not be as useful for preparing for that aspect of the exam.

What materials/references have you assembled so far?

JR

^^^ There was a thread that provided some opinions about this text, though I can't seem to find it at this point.
I had a friend that prepared and took Civil/Geotech Depth that picked up this book. He was relatively unimpressed by the text because even though it provided a cookie-cutter cookbook approach to problem solving, in his opinion it didn't really give you a good coverage for problem solving. Now, if someone is interested in trying to review the basics - I think it is probably a good book. For the more advanced topics - soil mechanics, deep foundations, etc. then it might not be as useful for preparing for that aspect of the exam.

JR
I'll Ive been using is the CERM and 6 minute solutions. I don't know if that enough for the exam??????

I took the Geotech PM twice....Oct 2006 & April 2007.... I passed in April....

The two exams were very different from each other as far as content goes..

What I took and used the most were the following:

CERM

6 Min. Solutions for Geotech

Geotechnical Engineering by Donald P. Coduto, 1999

Soil Mechanics by Arnold Verruijt, 2001

Soil Dynamics - NAVFAC DM-7.3

Foundation & Earth Structures - NAVFAC DM-7.02

Waste Water Engineering, Metcalf & Eddy, 3rd Edition

and Different Class notes from review courses....

I hope that that helps....

CERM

What do you mean by very different? Would you say the problems were harder, easier, or about the same as the 6 minute solutions?

CERM

=========

Do you think, if one can correctly solve all problems of CERM, companion promlem book and 6 min solutions in geotech, that should be enough.

I AM REALLY LOOSING MY NERVE. Your reply would help me

Re. books I have all of the above in geotech. I also plan to bring Steel handbook and ACI concrete for AM. Please suggest any other book needed.

I would gratefully appreciate your reply indeed.

If you send me an email address I can send you the class notes as even in reduced format they are still about 9mb.....I can break it into two and send them to you.

What I listed was all that I took to the exam....with the addition of the two books that you listed....that should be all that you need...maybe the Das book for Foundations....

In addition to working the CERM and 6 min Solutions, I would recommend reading the other books, as I found that just doing the problems did not really give me an idea of how to find the problem come the test. It is also a less stressful way to review for the exam...reading is simple...take your time....just trying to solve a problem that you do not know the equations for is going to just dampen your spirit. Reading some of the text also lets you find the important charts and graphs which you might miss if the problems you are solving do not require that sepcific chart. There are just too many different types of problems to study each equation.....knowing which type of problem gives you a better starting place to look for an equation vs. trying to remeber which equations fit the problem. Hopefully, that makes sense.....basically read the theory and get to know the reference...knowing where to look is as important as knowing which equation....also watch for the foot notes on charts.....I did not do a lot of problem solving (Number crunching) the second time around. If you have a degree, you know how to plug and chug....finding the correct equation is the biggest hurdle....slowing down and reading the exam question also helps. Don't be in a big rush...watch your time, but do not rush reading the question.

Let me know what else I can help with....Hang in there it is not such a big mountain to climb.....

If you send me an email address I can send you the class notes as even in reduced format they are still about 9mb.....I can break it into two and send them to you.

What I listed was all that I took to the exam....with the addition of the two books that you listed....that should be all that you need...maybe the Das book for Foundations....

In addition to working the CERM and 6 min Solutions, I would recommend reading the other books, as I found that just doing the problems did not really give me an idea of how to find the problem come the test. It is also a less stressful way to review for the exam...reading is simple...take your time....just trying to solve a problem that you do not know the equations for is going to just dampen your spirit. Reading some of the text also lets you find the important charts and graphs which you might miss if the problems you are solving do not require that sepcific chart. There are just too many different types of problems to study each equation.....knowing which type of problem gives you a better starting place to look for an equation vs. trying to remeber which equations fit the problem. Hopefully, that makes sense.....basically read the theory and get to know the reference...knowing where to look is as important as knowing which equation....also watch for the foot notes on charts.....I did not do a lot of problem solving (Number crunching) the second time around. If you have a degree, you know how to plug and chug....finding the correct equation is the biggest hurdle....slowing down and reading the exam question also helps. Don't be in a big rush...watch your time, but do not rush reading the question.

Let me know what else I can help with....Hang in there it is not such a big mountain to climb.....

Dear Friend,

I am very poor guy. If you help me to pass the exam. it will be highly appreciated. Please provide me your class notes. Here is my email. [email protected]

Hassan

===================

Thank you so much for the kind offer. Here is my email address: [email protected]

Thank you again,

BKS

JR
I sent you notes by email.

I have Das book (Foundation and geotechnical) and CERM

Can you please email me the class notes.

Thanks

Hockeyfan,

I am taking the exam on April 2010 (geotech depth), I do not have civil engineering degree but have a mechanical degree. I have been working in geotech field for last five years. I am learning all the geotech topics myself and want to pass the exam to advance in geotech field. Your classnotes would be a great asset for me if you can email them to me to [email protected]. Thank you.

Back