geotech morning section

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illini86

Reaction score
i'm structural and i'm wondering in the morning how in depth are the retaining wall sections? is it only like 1/2 of the 8 or do they really load up on them with 5/6 questions? also, it seems that cantilever walls are most common as they aren;t that bad and allow for finding active/passive pressure and FS, overturning moments, thats about it correct? do we need to worry about wild eccentric loads for the am/crazy bulkheads(i know anchors are listed but have no clue what to expect if any...)sheetpiles, stuff like that

thanks

I am working on the assumption that it will not be too heavy. Probably very similar to the NCEES sample exams. Find active force, maybe overturning moment, perhaps Factor of Safety against sliding or overturning. Should be pretty straightforward.

thanks,

Jason

I would only expect about one of the eight to be about retaining walls, probably something about overturning or sliding maybe. You will need to know soil properties and classification, and relative density. You might get a settlement or time of settlement question, maybe a compaction or borrow question or soil testing question. You get a consept question that will be easy or hard depending on your experience. I would study the stuff from the NCEEs outline, the 2008 NCEES sample exam had a good variety of typical problems that were helpful to me. The good thing is some of these questions may show up in the morning construction problems as they overlap some. So it is worth spending some time on borrow or classification questions. I would work on the settlement or time of settlement questions, they are pretty easy if you do some practice problems and get familar with them.

Good luck.

Although settlement is listed in NCEES topics for morning but I have not seen a single settlement question in 2008 or 2011 NCEES practice exam. What kind of question can come in morning for settlement?

yeah i know all the other stuff just the retaining wall more indepth stuff for funky situation had me worried...THANKS for the comments and i'm doing the NCEES test next weekend

Back