Geotech AM mass volume relationships

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilestar

Reaction score
I am little confused if mass volume topic is included in the AM portion, looking at NCEES guideline it seems phase relationships is covered in afternoon geotech. Those of you who have taken the test please clarify if there were any questions in the morning session. Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks

smilestar,

I took the exam last month and although I cannot give you specifics I would definitely prepare for that topic. I'll give you some adice though. If you have not applied mass volume relationships before, DO NOT try to learn from the CERM text. Lindeburg completely overcomplicates that topic. The best explanation? See Peurifoy, Construction Planning, Equipment and Methods. I used 6th edition, but I think newers ones may be out. Doesn't matter though. What Lindeburg uses pages to explain/complicate Peurifoy does in a matter of sentences. That might be a distinct difference between an author who talks about engineering vs. another who practiced it.

I think of phase relationships in terms of volume-density relationships.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason, what are you doing up at 1am? Wait, I'm no better. ;)

I see what you are saying but I think of vol-dens relationships more as Soil Mechanics Analysis and phase relationships more as Engineering Properties of Soils and Materials. I think of phase relationships as the three phases making up soil - solids, water, air. If I am reading the Geo NCEES syllabus correctly, it doesn't seem that these types of questions are on the exam? (Ex. questions providing/asking for water content, void ratio, porosity, degree of saturation, volume of solids/water/air, unit weight, specific gravity, etc., etc.). I could be wrong.

Jason, what are you doing up at 1am? Wait, I'm no better. ;)

I see what you are saying but I think of vol-dens relationships more as Soil Mechanics Analysis and phase relationships more as Engineering Properties of Soils and Materials. I think of phase relationships as the three phases making up soil - solids, water, air. If I am reading the Geo NCEES syllabus correctly, it doesn't seem that these types of questions are on the exam? (Ex. questions providing/asking for water content, void ratio, porosity, degree of saturation, volume of solids/water/air, unit weight, specific gravity, etc., etc.). I could be wrong.
Hey Ptato,

Actually it was only 9:30 am where I am - in Maui. lol

Latest posts

Back