General question about the 2009 LEED

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRman

Reaction score
So I want to take the LEED exam, and I'm thinking it would be good to take the '09 version. Only thing I'm a little foggy on is which one to take.

Do you have to take the Green associate before you can sit for the others? Like SE1 and SE2? :please:

So I want to take the LEED exam, and I'm thinking it would be good to take the '09 version. Only thing I'm a little foggy on is which one to take.Do you have to take the Green associate before you can sit for the others? Like SE1 and SE2? :please:
You can't take any of them until after March 31, I believe. That is the deadline to sign up for the "Old" exam. After that date, things get a little fuzzy. Why do you think that taking the new LEED is the right way to go?

So I want to take the LEED exam, and I'm thinking it would be good to take the '09 version.
The LEED exam process is undergoing a major revision this year. The new testing process will be harder, longer, and more expensive than the current version. However, those accredited under the old testing process will have the opportunity to "grandfather" into the new system, without taking the new tests or meeting the new experience requirements. Most people are therefore rushing to get accredited under the old system, before it gets phased out.

Do you have to take the Green associate before you can sit for the others?
The new system will include two exams instead of just one: the "Green Associate" exam and the "LEED-AP+" exam. The two will roughly correspond to the FE and PE exams for engineers.
According to GBCI, you will have the option of taking the Green Associate and LEED-AP+ exams at the same time. They will be graded separately, however, and you will need passing grades on both parts to qualify as a LEED-AP+. If you fail one part, you only have to retake that part.

Alternatively, you can take the Green Associates exam separately, and later take the LEED-AP+ exam separately. The Green Associate exam will have looser work experience requirements than the LEED-AP+ exam, just as states typically have looser requirements for the FE vs. the PE exam.

The last chance to register for the old exam is March 31. There may be some additional time to take the old exam after that date. Then the new exams will be introduced, but the exact date is unclear.

The LEED exam process is undergoing a major revision this year. The new testing process will be harder, longer, and more expensive than the current version. However, those accredited under the old testing process will have the opportunity to "grandfather" into the new system, without taking the new tests or meeting the new experience requirements. Most people are therefore rushing to get accredited under the old system, before it gets phased out.
The new system will include two exams instead of just one: the "Green Associate" exam and the "LEED-AP+" exam. The two will roughly correspond to the FE and PE exams for engineers.

According to GBCI, you will have the option of taking the Green Associate and LEED-AP+ exams at the same time. They will be graded separately, however, and you will need passing grades on both parts to qualify as a LEED-AP+. If you fail one part, you only have to retake that part.

Alternatively, you can take the Green Associates exam separately, and later take the LEED-AP+ exam separately. The Green Associate exam will have looser work experience requirements than the LEED-AP+ exam, just as states typically have looser requirements for the FE vs. the PE exam.

The last chance to register for the old exam is March 31. There may be some additional time to take the old exam after that date. Then the new exams will be introduced, but the exact date is unclear.
Tark62,

First, I do not dispute the information you have posted. That said, where did you find this information. I have been trying to let other co-workers who keep putting off the exam to take the exam before March 31, 2009. They seem content with waiting until the new format is announced and available to all.

Trying to keep everyone informed as new information is released. I do check the USGBC website frequently but didn't see anything about the Green Associate LEED AP+ structure you referenced.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

That said, where did you find this information. I have been trying to let other co-workers who keep putting off the exam to take the exam before March 31, 2009. They seem content with waiting until the new format is announced and available to all.
Trying to keep everyone informed as new information is released. I do check the USGBC website frequently but didn't see anything about the Green Associate LEED AP+ structure you referenced.
You are checking in the wrong place. USGBC handles the LEED rating systems for buildings, but they do not handle the LEED-AP certification process for individuals. The USGBC has spun off the LEED-AP responsibilities to an affiliated institution, the Green Building Certification Institute (GBCI). It's like the difference between the state building standards commission (which handles the state building code) and the state engineering board (which licenses individual engineers as PEs).

Check the FAQs at the GBCI website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently if you have already passed the test you have an option to upgrade so to speak.

I am schedule for next week but my friend has helped me with studying and says with this resource its

fairly easy . I will be attending the courses next week which will definitely help me pass.

Clean Edison Training Centers is a great resource. I might sign up for private tutoring depending

on how the course goes..plus if I dont pass I can retake it free of charge..

Here are some links that might help clear up at least some of the confusion regarding LEED 2009 and the new credentialing requirements:

GBCI link to a table summarizing the differing requirements between the types of credentials:

http://www.gbci.org/DisplayPage.aspx?CMSPageID=84

USGBC site discussing the education/knowledge level of the different tiers and credentials (refer to the image and also click on the powerpoint/pdf presentation and FAQs):

http://www.usgbc.org/DisplayPage.aspx?CMSPageID=1936

In general, for colleagues of mine that are interested in becoming LEED AP, I am suggesting they go ahead and get the exam done now, before the transition (again, the deadline to register is by the end of this month, and the deadline to take the exam is the end of June). Among other reasons, there are tons of free study resources online for New Construction v2.2. And, once you are LEED AP, you can be "grandfathered" into the LEED AP+ credentialing system.

:mf_heads_or_tails:

So I want to take the LEED exam, and I'm thinking it would be good to take the '09 version. Only thing I'm a little foggy on is which one to take.Do you have to take the Green associate before you can sit for the others? Like SE1 and SE2? :please:
Yes. You have to take the LEED Green Associate first, but you it and the LEED AP can take both at once. If you take the GA and pass and then take the AP Specialty and don't pass, you are neither a GA nor AP. :(

Kaplan is offering a LEED GA online course for $299 in August. Watch it as many times as you like. Big workbook with quizzes and a final exam.

If you take the GA and pass and then take the AP Specialty and don't pass, you are neither a GA nor AP. :(
While that statement is correct, it doesn't paint the entire picture. You can become a LEED GA without retaking the exam.

You have three shots at it per application. So, if you pass the GA exam and fail the AP exam, you don't have to take the GA exam again for the remaining attempts.

The reason you're not automatically a LEED GA is because you didn't apply for that, you applied to be a LEED AP. You can apply (and give them more money), and agree to the GA maintenance program, and they will grant you LEED GA status based on your previous passing of the LEED GA exam.

Here are some links that might help clear up at least some of the confusion regarding LEED 2009 and the new credentialing requirements:
GBCI link to a table summarizing the differing requirements between the types of credentials:

USGBC site discussing the education/knowledge level of the different tiers and credentials (refer to the image and also click on the powerpoint/pdf presentation and FAQs):

In general, for colleagues of mine that are interested in becoming LEED AP, I am suggesting they go ahead and get the exam done now, before the transition (again, the deadline to register is by the end of this month, and the deadline to take the exam is the end of June). Among other reasons, there are tons of free study resources online for New Construction v2.2. And, once you are LEED AP, you can be "grandfathered" into the LEED AP+ credentialing system.
Hello -does someone has to do anything to be "grandfathered" into the LEED AP+ credentialing system? I passed the LEED AP in March 09. . . .

Hello -does someone has to do anything to be "grandfathered" into the LEED AP+ credentialing system? I passed the LEED AP in March 09. . . .
Yes... since you took the exam before the June 09 cutoff, you can be grandfathered in. I believe you have to go to the GBCI website and sign up for the Credential Maintenance Program. That's how I was grandfathered into the BD+C credential. Then you just have to agree to complete the necessary amount of PDHs to maintain your credential. Pretty easy overal.

Check it out here

http://www.gbci.org/CMP/About.aspx

Yes... since you took the exam before the June 09 cutoff, you can be grandfathered in. I believe you have to go to the GBCI website and sign up for the Credential Maintenance Program. That's how I was grandfathered into the BD+C credential. Then you just have to agree to complete the necessary amount of PDHs to maintain your credential. Pretty easy overal.

Check it out here

http://www.gbci.org/CMP/About.aspx
Thanks!

It seems as though Building Design + Construction is the way to go. I will sign up for the Credential Maintenance Program.

Back