General Contractors License

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLTEE49

Reaction score
Anyone here ever applied for a General Contractors License? This may be a long range career goal of mine (well after my PE). I know you have to present some amount of capital in order to qualify and it will be awhile before I acquire enough of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it varies from state to state, I dont know if money is part of it but most prequalifications for state dot's require a financial aspect

I have had my contractors licence and looks like I will be in a new company and get it again. There are a number of things to consider when becoming a contractor, there are insurance requirements, you must assign the licence to a business, and the business must be your principal source of income. We subcontract to larger firms quite a bit and they find it easier to develop contracts for subs as contractors rather than A&E. So you may want to look into it and make sure your not causing trouble you dont need.

Back