Garbage Fire

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone take the TFS?

I felt that the problems that were really emphasized in the practice exam weren't all that tested in the real exam which was a huge bummer. Definitely felt that the new breadth is deceptive as they threw in a number of other disciplines than pure TFS. Overall, not that confident especially if people have failed in the past with ~70%  :(
Yeah, I took the TFS and I agree. There were subjects that were the emphasis of the practice test that were completely absent on the actual exam. That threw me for a loop, I feel like I was back on my heels for the entire test because of that. 

I barely used any of my notes, the problems that were on the materials I studied I knew enough without having to look them up. The stuff I didn't study I was lost on. The MREM didn't seem to be any help deciphering those problems either. 

I hate feeling like it came down to how well I guessed vs. everyone else who took the exam. Even if I end up passing this time, it kind of feels like I didn't accomplish as much as I wanted. I wanted to walk out of the test knowing I killed it, instead I feel like I failed miserably. Hope this is all just post-test anxiety. 

I took TFS as well.  Thought morning was pretty difficult, afternoon was not as bad but still found myself guessing on several.  I too wanted to feel confident coming out of that test.  Now, I'm dreading the wait because I know if I don't pass it will be just barely which makes it that much worse.  Spent a good 250 hours in preparation including the practice exam.  I suspected this new format would bite everyone and judging by the comments I was not mistaken.

Agree with everyone on the TFS.  The practice exam definitely emphasized different material than the actual exam.  However I will say the exam did stick to the spec.  Unfortunately this material was not covered well in any of the practice material that I used during studying.

Based on Justin's survey I should feel extremely confident as I only guessed on 1 problem on the exam, but for some reason I don't feel that way. Overall I thought the exam was "tricky" and there were a good bit of problems where I could have fell for the trap.  

However I will say the exam did stick to the spec.
Yeah, I'll agree to that. I should have taken a closer look at the actual spec and tried to incorporate some additional studying into my routine instead of trusting the review course I took to cover everything. I think the review class is mostly based on the topics covered in the practice exam, that should have tipped me off to the need to take a closer look instead of letting it lull me into a false sense of being prepared. 

I took the Machine Design & Materials.  I found it to be harder than all previous samples tests.  Although I guess anything is harder when the solutions aren't in the back of the book.  I flat out guessed on 1 question.  Then tried to use judgement on about 15 questions.  I thought both the AM & PM were equally tough, but my endurance faded in the PM part for sure.  All the questions were appropriate for the test, but a lot were pretty obscure.

I took MD&M. Overall I liked the test. I agree it was pretty different than the NCEES practice exams, but in a good way. For the most part, I liked the questions and felt they were applicable to what I had studied. There were 3 or 4 questions in the morning that I wasn't 100% sure about, but I finished about an hour early, so I had time to go back and check those. Same for the afternoon - about 2 or 3 that I wasn't sure about. Didn't have quite as much extra time in the afternoon though. Only about 15-20 minutes to go back and double check everything.

Neat idea with the survey above. It's interesting to see other people's perspectives.

I took MD&M. Overall I liked the test. I agree it was pretty different than the NCEES practice exams, but in a good way. For the most part, I liked the questions and felt they were applicable to what I had studied. There were 3 or 4 questions in the morning that I wasn't 100% sure about, but I finished about an hour early, so I had time to go back and check those. Same for the afternoon - about 2 or 3 that I wasn't sure about. Didn't have quite as much extra time in the afternoon though. Only about 15-20 minutes to go back and double check everything.Neat idea with the survey above. It's interesting to see other people's perspectives.
Sounds like you rocked it. For the benefit of others, especially given the new exam format, which materials did you use for your studying?

I agree with TF... some of the "support knowledge" threw me off.

My guess is thaT since this was first test of new spec that they tossed in those "what the hell" problems to gauge how ppl will do and use that to refine the future tests.

my first run in morning i had 23 that i did no problem... 5-7 were researchable and i answered best to my abilities... others i did educated guess.

afternoon was much smoother, at least 27i ran through...another 5 im decent about and rest were guesses.

Only reason i end up guessing is i was either fried and couldnt think or just couldnt locate source material.

Lets hope for the GREEN PASS!

Glad to know others felt exactly as I did! Ya, I guess it's harsh to say that the material didn't match the stated breadth, but a few questions felt like they were coming out of left field.

I definitely made guesses/educated guesses on more problems than I expected to. Good luck everyone.

I felt pretty good about passing TFS but feel it was a lot harder than practice exam. I finished the morning in 2 hrs and was able to go back and check each problem - I found 4 errors mostly stupid math or units related -lots of traps. The afternoon I finished in 3hr and checked some of the hard ones but was too tired to check all of them effectively.  I"m sure I made some more silly mistakes in the afternoon. 

One interesting strategy I used was using NCEES "tricks" to confirm I had the right answer. For example the multiple choice answers are often silly mistakes apart. If I got an answer I wasn't sure on sometimes I could see the other multiple choice answers were my correct answer but in the wrong units or forgot to divide by a constant. Thus, the 'traps' confirmed I had the correct answer. 

Well, as a first time test taker, I feel like I performed decently on the TFS test.  I seemed to finish both the morning and afternoon with 30-45 minutes to spare and was able to research a few questions I left blank or felt uneasy about and find an answer that appeared correct.  Although, as I noticed with the practice exams, I think it will really come down to whether I was sloppy with units or simple things like including an efficiency in my calcs.  The test definitely had a topic or two that I discounted since I assumed that only one or two questions would be on the test (which was apparently way off).  

Did any other test takers find the test, in a weird sadistic way, somewhat fun?  For me, I enjoyed it simply because I knew I would not have to do a postmortem analysis on the test.  You know, checking answers, figuring out where I went wrong, determining the correct course of action to avoid a mistake in the future, etc.  Something liberating about arriving at an answer, quick check of the math and units, selecting the answer and moving on to never think about that question again.  

Jeepers, Fun??? Holy mother of gad what are you talking about!  When I took it I felt like my brain was put through a blender and all I wanted to do was sleep and forget the whole thing.  Nightmares for weeks, followed by the sh!ts, the shingles and other unmentionables.

P-E, I don't know why I derived some sick pleasure out of it.  I found it very strange.  Perhaps it was simply the knowledge that with each question completed, I was one step closer to being free from studying, at least for a couple of months.  Perhaps it was because I knew of a great brew pub fairly close to the test center and the thought of heading home with a frosty growler of a great sour.

P-E, I don't know why I derived some sick pleasure out of it.  I found it very strange.  Perhaps it was simply the knowledge that with each question completed, I was one step closer to being free from studying, at least for a couple of months.  Perhaps it was because I knew of a great brew pub fairly close to the test center and the thought of heading home with a frosty growler of a great sour.
Argghh you are the dude in college who ruins the curve for everyone.

I can understand the beer part.  More of an IPA guy, but some sours I find okay. 

P-E:  I never could develop a taste for an IPA.  Personally, my favorite beers are hefeweizens.  But, I feel life sour beers are on the same order as fine single malt scotch.  A rare treat for a great accomplishment or failure!  The P.E. test seemed to fit the bill.

landolakes:  Well, I was accused of ruining the curve in two classes in college.  Although, one was a quantum physics course that Electrical Engineers were required to take and I took it as an elective.  I feel like the EE's were very confused and angry that a MechE was killing the curve, especially since I didn't need to take the class.  The class was awful, but pissing off EE's gave me a similar sadistic pleasure.  EE's are the worst.

Im an EE, taking the ME due to what my job duties are. 

I also ask for A1 at fancy steakhouses.

Sounds like you rocked it. For the benefit of others, especially given the new exam format, which materials did you use for your studying?
I hope so. Primarily used the PPI materials (Lindeburg). Read thru all the chapters in the MERM, then did most of the practice problems - about 400 problems. Then did all the six minute solutions problems, and finally 2 NCEES practice exams. It took about 2 1/2 months to get thru all the material.

Oh, I had a subscription to PPI's Exam Café (included with the bundle of books I got from them). So I went thru all the problems they had on the topics that were relevant - materials, vibrations, statics, dynamics, etc. I didn't mess with the HVAC, thermodynamics, fluids, or heat transfer materials very much.

Oh, I had a subscription to PPI's Exam Café (included with the bundle of books I got from them). So I went thru all the problems they had on the topics that were relevant - materials, vibrations, statics, dynamics, etc. I didn't mess with the HVAC, thermodynamics, fluids, or heat transfer materials very much.
What did you think of the PPI exam cafe?

I know the questions on the exam cafe aren't quantitative but the practice exams, MERM companion and Six Minute Solutions didn't have a lot of non-quantitative practice and were almost all quantitative. I felt like I didn't struggle with any questions that were quantitative. I felt like the non-quantitative questions on the actual exam were where I struggled the most. At least they were the ones that gave me the most headache because they seemed so obscure which is likely due to my lack of practice.

There were a lot more non-quantitative questions than I originally thought there would be on the exam. I think that having that exam cafe practice might have helped. If I fail, it is something I am definitely going to consider adding to my exam prep. 

Back