funny pic thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
13872703_10154600134925934_3053890231406073899_n.jpg

People still use that stuff?  I swear, that's responsible for more fires than kitchen ranges.
1.  Yes...anybody with water pipes running through un-conditioned space in a climate where it gets below freezing NEEDs heat tape.  It is mostly used on trailer homes, but some older homes still need it.

2.  There are FAR more fires originating from kitchen ranges than heat tape (Source: Me...having investigated about 5,000 component fires over the last 6 years with about 700 of them being range fires and 3 of them being heat tape fires).

3.  Ranges are hardly ever "responsible" for kitchen fires (with responsible meaning due to a manufacturer's defect).  The vast majority of range fires are caused by people doing stupid shit (such as...storing oven mitts in a broiler drawer, running an oven self-clean cycle with a mound of spilled food in the oven, keeping plastic containers on the cooktop and accidentally turning it on, and their cat hopping up on the countertop and pissing in a built-in cooktop, shorting out the wiring...seriously...this happened).

my backyard never gets sun in the winter and we will average months of snow on the back deck, wonder if I can heat tape a path out for the dog to go outside to do her business?  & maybe to the grill?

1.  Yes...anybody with water pipes running through un-conditioned space in a climate where it gets below freezing NEEDs heat tape.  It is mostly used on trailer homes, but some older homes still need it.

2.  There are FAR more fires originating from kitchen ranges than heat tape (Source: Me...having investigated about 5,000 component fires over the last 6 years with about 700 of them being range fires and 3 of them being heat tape fires).

3.  Ranges are hardly ever "responsible" for kitchen fires (with responsible meaning due to a manufacturer's defect).  The vast majority of range fires are caused by people doing stupid shit (such as...storing oven mitts in a broiler drawer, running an oven self-clean cycle with a mound of spilled food in the oven, keeping plastic containers on the cooktop and accidentally turning it on, and their cat hopping up on the countertop and pissing in a built-in cooktop, shorting out the wiring...seriously...this happened).
Perhaps I should acquaint you with the concept of hyperbole.

Damn it, Matt.  I thought we told you to stay out of the Patriots' locker room!

Back