funny pic thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
887glfy.jpg

LOYppfn.jpg

6l9tH4w.jpg

My Instrumentation professor introduced us to the world of thermocouples and had us perform some experiments. These involved having a reference point in ice water. Unfortunately, we were all "hard of hearing" and the professor is from mainland China. The reference point turned out to be "ass water". The first direction from him was "do not drink the ass water". We asked why we couldn't drink the "ass water" among other inappropriate and over-his-head questions.

Calculus professor was a Chinese man who was fluent in German and then learned English. Impressive as hell that he knew those languages, but very hard to understand his German/Chinese accent.

And that ticket is a bunch of BS. See the flood map in the windshield? Apparently they need the funds to pay for RG's new job.

One thing I was amazed at in graduate school was all the (I guess you can't really call it racism....nationism?) that existed amongst the different eastern nationalities. Some of the comments the professors made about citizens of other nations kinda took me by surprise.

Worst professor accent that I experienced was a Chinese guy who'd been in the U.S. for 20 years. But his wife was Chinese, his kids went to Chinese-speaking schools, they went to a Chinese church... the only time he spoke English was when lecturing. So he'd been here 20 years and could not speak the language.

Typical exchange during lecture:

me: "So how does the elevation head compare between Point 1 and Point 2?"

Chinese prof: "Yes"

me: "That's what I thought, thanks."

My first day of college, first class, first engineering class.

Professor walks in, and in a thick Japanese accents says, "Me been in America, one month." Several folks got up and left right then.

Didn't learn anything from the guy (PASCAL programming...no big loss), but he was an interesting guy. Wife was a concert pianist.

The college of engineering started having us fill out TA evaluations that were only focused on our ability to understand them. It was a short survey.

I wish other colleges had done that because I had a Russian physics TA who smiled and pointed a lot...and that was it. Our lab reports were keyword searches for her. I'm pretty sure I could have written anything and as long as "mass" and "acceleration" showed up enough, it would work.

Of course, I'd never be able to teach physics lab in Russia.

Back