From your older brother

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jregieng:Thanx for the encouragement. Sounds real similar to me although your colleague is slightly my senior (older brotherish :rolleyes: ). glad to hear he successfully passed first time out! Was he able to count any experience pre-CE degree, or did he need the full 4 yrs, post-degree?

NCEES has changed their requirements for EITs where they will need 30 additional credits post BS degree in addition to 4 yrs exp prior to sitting for PE.  This won't take effect till 2015. . . but still cuts it close - i get BS 2008, 4 more years and its 2012!  They've been striving for PEs to be required to hold masters now for some time, trying to keep up (?) w/ the fields of medicine and law i guess.

Course, holding more than 1 degree oughtta count fer something too.
error --

As I recall, he needed to have three years experience post CE (He was able to count 2 yrs of MS degree for 1 yr experience). I think he eventually was able to claim some of his P.G. time, but it was very, very limited.

He did seemed to do okay with the licensure by exam process in Florida, but from what I understand he may be some comity issues with other states for the reasons you stated in your message.

Bottom line - get your license, worry about the rest as necessary! :thumbsup:

Please feel free to post questions as you are preparing - we are all happy to lend assistance and support !! :+1:

Regards,

JR

where they will need 30 additional credits post BS degree in addition to 4 yrs exp prior to sitting for PE.

but it doesnt have to be graduate level, what the ncees is trying to do is weed out the schools that dont require as many credit hours to graduate compared to what they think the "national average is"

so by having another degree it should take care of it.

where they will need 30 additional credits post BS degree in addition to 4 yrs exp prior to sitting for PE.
but it doesnt have to be graduate level, what the ncees is trying to do is weed out the schools that dont require as many credit hours to graduate compared to what they think the "national average is"

so by having another degree it should take care of it.
I think some of the intent is to bring the educational requirements of engineering as a profession into line with others...

doctors 8 years + practicum

lawyers 6 or 7 + clerking

teachers must take courses their whole career to advance

CPA's big time CE, almost 2 weeks per year

etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys should check with your state boards. In WI you can get your PE with 4 yrs of school and 8 yrs of experience. No test required :blink: :true:

I doubt my board would accept that transfer.
Yeah, that's where you'd get tripped up. As long as you don't want to practice anywhere else you're probably OK though.

You guys should check with your state boards. In WI you can get your PE with 4 yrs of school and 8 yrs of experience. No test required :blink: :true:
this from their site...it appears you have to take the exam, but don't need a degree..

Required experience:

EAC Eng degree + 4 yrs exp

TAC Eng Tech degree + 5 yrs exp

BS degree + 5 yrs exp;

FE certificate + 8 yrs exp

other combinations possible

it appears you may not need the FE if you have a BS + 5 years

Back