Fridge Compressor Causing Power Surges?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuku

Spark with Potential
Reaction score
The past couple of weeks I've been having issues with power in my home. My lights will occasionally flicker, my UPS at my tv/stereo will click to/from backup power, and now my computer upstairs has begun cutting off. The only thing I've come up with is this all happens when my refrigerator compressor kicks in.

I've hooked my kill-a-watt meter to the receptacle to see what the difference was when it actually kicks in, but it is pretty minimal (~200W). The voltage is ranged from 109V-115V. What can I do to correct this problem? Do you think a new fridge would be the cure (current fridge is only 6 yrs old)?

you may have a bad connection somewhere - it could be anywhere from the utility transformer somewhere in your wall wiring.

Do you see a dimming in all rooms in your house? If so, check your connections in your electrical panel, or if you don't know what you are doing in there, call an electrical contractor.

Uncorrected, a loose wire could burn down your house and kill your babies. Better not to take chances.

Oh, and if it's not in your house, it could be a loose connection of the electric company's. Or it could be a neighbor just installed an instant hot water heater, or bought a big monster tool for their shop, or a number of things. If you know how to use a volt meter safely, you can find the problem.

Oh, and if it's not in your house, it could be a loose connection of the electric company's. Or it could be a neighbor just installed an instant hot water heater, or bought a big monster tool for their shop, or a number of things. If you know how to use a volt meter safely, you can find the problem.
Bingo! Utility company stopped by and tightened the incoming feeders, all of which were crazy loose!

Back